Toyoco Question

I recently purchased what I believe is a Toyoco Alligator from my local C.L. The seller was the original owner and indicated that he bought the bike from a Pennsylvania "Two Guys" department store in 1969. He rode the bike for a few years and then stored it for the next 4 decades. The bike appears to be all original including the chain guard and has a Tecumseh SH25 engine. I saw an identical bike on this forum, and it had an "Alligator" decal on the chain guard. I would like to know if anyone reproduces this decal? I am keeping the bike in "as found" condition, but would like to replace the missing decal. Thank you for the help.

Thanks. The bike is really clean for its age. Only a little surface rust on the handlebars, and that cleaned up with some WD-40 and some metal cleaning pads. It was used, but not abused by the previous owner and was exactly what I was looking for: an un-restored bike that presents well and can be ridden without being worried about messing it up.
I'm trying to figure out how to post pics. (I used to use photobucket, now I'm looking for another free hosting site). Raining pretty bad in Burlington Couny right now. Hopefully will be able to take some pics tomorrow.
Here are some pics. Sorry for the crazy big size; that's the only way I could figure out how to load them.
IMG_0760.JPG
IMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0762.JPG
IMG_0763.JPG
IMG_0764.JPG
Even the tires are TOYOCO
IMG_0765.JPG
IMG_0766.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks. The bike is really clean for its age. Only a little surface rust on the handlebars, and that cleaned up with some WD-40 and some metal cleaning pads. It was used, but not abused by the previous owner and was exactly what I was looking for: an un-restored bike that presents well and can be ridden without being worried about messing it up.
I'm trying to figure out how to post pics. (I used to use photobucket, now I'm looking for another free hosting site). Raining pretty bad in Burlington Couny right now. Hopefully will be able to take some pics tomorrow.
Here are some pics. Sorry for the crazy big size; that's the only way I could figure out how to load them.
View attachment 106841
View attachment 106842
View attachment 106843
View attachment 106844
View attachment 106845
Even the tires are TOYOCO
View attachment 106846
View attachment 106840
The bike looks great. Hey, I'm in Burlington. What town are you in?

Thanks for the compliments. Since those pics, I washed & detailed it. Still have a little more to do, but it's cleaning up nicely. A couple things I noticed while getting it up and running:
1) The brake lever is fractured inside the handlebar housing. It broke where the bolt goes thru the lever. It still works great, but the lever can be pulled out of the housing. As I am relatively new to mini bikes, I did not know if the lever could be replaced, or do I have to find the entire brake lever/cable assembly?
2) The bike actually has some juice and moves pretty well. However, around mid range there is a vibration that smooths out when the bike is topped out rpm-wise. Any ideas? Maybe a tire issue?
3) I'd like to find an NOS or reproduction "Alligator 250" sticker for the chain guard if anyone can point me in the direction of one.
Thanks again for all the positive feedback on the bike. I paid $350 for the bike. I think it was a pretty good deal.

You can just replace the lever. Finding one could be a challenge. You could get lucky by putting a ad in the wanted section and keep a eye on ebay. The rough spot you have with the rpm's could be the carb. Probably a little gunk in the carb. Run the bike a bit and it may straighten out. Could also just be a carb or governor adjustment.

markus

If you get a chance, take the lever off and get a good shot of the shape of whats in the perch (where the bolt goes through) maybe next to a ruler. You can maybe find a lever itself if the housing is good. I have a bunch of various NOS bare levers from some off brand 70's bikes from an old shop buyout, something I have might fit, or someone may be able to verify what other import bike might have used those to narrow your search.