Tru Test Build From New Zealand

Hey everyone, this is my first post here. I'm getting my first mini bike on Sunday and I'm planning to strip it down and completely rebuild it.

It's a New Zealand made Tru Test bike and they're damn hard to come across here!

I'm selling the GX160 and putting my 3hp briggs on it, as I want the original engine. ill make a new seat for it, possibly convert it to disc brakes, we'll see what happens. It's going to be lime green and silver, a personal favourite colour choice :wink: I guess im going for a hot rod design. Im most likely not using the original fuel tank due to it's shocking condition, but I plan to replace this with a cylinder shaped one :shrug:

The pictures are one, the original, and 2, my plans.

Feel free to let me know what you think

Progress coming soon!

Cheers

Its hard to find bike parts here, so I may have to make them myself :hammer:
Wheels, tyres, seats etc... are really hard to find here!

But engine parts aren't too bad as I can usually find engines on Trademe, a new Zealand auction site like ebay, and Briggs & Stratton. I can get things like oil seals and gaskets here luckily enough :thumbsup:

Any way I can get more power out of my 3hp? I'm already ditching the governor and honing the cylinder.

Cheers

Its not the cylinder you have to worry about when removing the governor. Its the rod. They are usually the weak link, and when they go, they usually take the block with them. The other issue is the flywheel. Cast iron doesn't like high rpm. And if the flywheel goes, you can get quite hurt from the flying shrapnel.

Don't think there are performance parts for the 3hp...

Its not the cylinder you have to worry about when removing the governor. Its the rod. They are usually the weak link, and when they go, they usually take the block with them. The other issue is the flywheel. Cast iron doesn't like high rpm. And if the flywheel goes, you can get quite hurt from the flying shrapnel.

Don't think there are performance parts for the 3hp...
I was reading today that stock rods let go around 4800 - 5000rpm. I can't necessarily go out and buy a billet flywheel or rod because I'm too broke and shipping kills everything :mad2: I attempted smoothing around the valves earlier and I cleaned the port out with my dremel.

Besides that I reckon I wouldn't be revving it anything past 4000...

Got the bike today :laugh: , did some brake adjustments and changed the front fork springs, used a V8 valve spring :thumbsup: Rides good, Honda puts out around 50kph I reckon :shrug: Will most likely strip it down in the next week or so, but just getting the adjustments right at the moment :wink:

Great little vintage powerplant! I'd just do a good rebuild on it, keep it dependable.

Cool to see a bike made in NZ, gonna ride the sheep trails or street it??

All depends how you you gear it. 6:1 ratio would give it some pull...
Love that old carb!
Are there any go-kart shops locally? Good places to find parts like wheels, sprockets and stuff.

"That old carb" is more complex than I thought it would be :hammer: I got some more plastic 5" rims, but in a different style.

The only local parts place is the mower shop 5 mins away and anything online for sale in NZ :thumbsup:

Next up is to measure the sprocket, and see how i'm gonna mount my new brakes...

I also plan to sell, one, the Honda, and two, the Briggs (when complete). I've always wanted a 5hp briggs, and I decided that ill hunt one down and use that. But finding one here is the hard part. I've got a friend with a mint runner on a rotary hoe, but he's deciding what he is gonna do with that at the moment.

Hey Buck...I think thats NZland lingo for a good runnin (mint)5hp on a rototiller (hoe). Good choice for the engine swap, I was gonna suggest getting a briggs 5er but forgot. Getting older sucks :doah:. If you ever want more power from it there are lots of hi-perf parts around for them, well, maybe not locally.