Tubeless Tires on Astro Rims?

Can you put tubes in tubeless tires? I have Azusa 6" Astro rims and Sunf A021 tubeless tires. Can I safely run tubes in these tires?

As @manchester1 said, yes, generally, you can use a tube in a tubeless tire. Assuming that you're talking about a 6"x3" wheel (the only size Astro available) and a 145/70-6 tire (the only 6" A021 available), that's an awfully wide tire for a 3" wide wheel. A 145/70-6 tire is made to fit a 6"x4.5" wheel (50% wider), 145 is the section width in mm which equals 5.7". Mounting a 145/70-6 tire on a 3" wide wheel is going to cause a lot of pucker, meaning that the beads are going to be drawn in much closer together than they should be. This would probably cause the tire to be less stable than it would be on a wider wheel, it would probably tend to flop left or right under lateral load. Overinflating the tire may make it more stable but isn't an ideal solution, a better solution would be to make a 1.5" spacer to fit between the Astro wheel halves or to use a different 4.5" wide wheel (or use a narrower tire on the 6x3 Astro). Being that the Astro is a two-piece wheel, you should be able to get the 145/70-6 tire mounted without much difficulty but you're going to have some serious pucker.

145/70-6 Tire
145 is section width in millimeters (equals 5.7 inches)
70 is aspect ratio in percentage (section height is equal to 70% of section width)
6 is wheel diameter in inches at bead
145x.70=101.5 (section height) / 101.5x2=203 / 203mm=7.99" / 7.99+6=13.99" OD (+/-)

https://azusaparts.com/product-category/wheels/aluminum-wheels/6-astro-wheels/

https://www.sunf.com/collections/atv-tires/products/a021?variant=32203626053743

Last edited:
Just an FYI:
Azusa Engineering wheels are "problematic". It is widely known that many of them do not run true with side to side or up and down wobble (or both) which causes issues with maintaining proper chain tightness/alignment and drum brakes do not work well.
Michael

I've got mine mounted & think they will be great. View attachment 297781
See that molded-in line below '70-6' (area where it's most visible)? Notice how that line is hidden behind the rim of the wheel in some areas? That line should be the same distance from the edge of the rim all the way around if the tire is mounted properly (which probably isn't possible with that tire/wheel combination because the beads will be distorted/twisted), that is the purpose of that line. In the area at the top-left, even the nipples beyond the line are hidden by the rim. My guess is that the bead of the tire is rolled in that area. You need to adjust the tire to where that line is the same distance from the rim all the way around so that the OD of the tire will be round.

See that molded-in line below '70-6' (area where it's most visible)? Notice how that line is hidden behind the rim of the wheel in some areas? That line should be the same distance from the edge of the rim all the way around if the tire is mounted properly (which probably isn't possible with that tire/wheel combination because the beads will be distorted/twisted), that is the purpose of that line. In the area at the top-left, even the nipples beyond the line are hidden by the rim. My guess is that the bead of the tire is rolled in that area. You need to adjust the tire to where that line is the same distance from the rim all the way around so that the OD of the tire will be round.
You are on point today between this and noticing the bracket being installed wrong on that disc setup in that other thread.