Unknown Briggs 5hp parts.

I just bought a 5hp briggs off craigslist. It was all there minus carb and tank. I opened it up last night to check the internals. It has a Cam with Dyno cams 107I etched on it. It also has a unusual connecting rod and bigger valves springs. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I only gave $20 bucks for the engine.

Attachments

Harquebus

Probably a racing engine, sometimes set up to run methanol.

The 107 cam though, is supposed to be pretty mild with a smidgen more lift than stock.
Looks like a typical billet aluminum con rod. Take it down to the bare block and see if there's any writing or logo on the rod.

joshua. c.

if that's a 107ss like my engine that's a grate cam, it has 315 lift, that's a lot more than stock. I realy like the performance of this cam, my engine is a beast. but be cairfull and pull hard when starting, it has a tendency of kicking back and ripping the pull cord out of your hand if your not carful. the rod is billet meaning stronger than stock, meant for high rpms. and for 20$ that's a steal. the seller must not of known what he had.

Last edited:

Harquebus

Agreed; that engine was a steal with the performance parts most definitely.

...but be cairfull and pull hard when starting, it has a tendency of kicking back and ripping the pull cord out of your hand if your not carful...
Most recoil start engines (or those with good compression) will do that. The trick (heck, even with anything like a kick-start motorbike) is to get the motor on its compression stroke/top dead center then give 'er the boot, or the pull in this case.

In other words, pull the cord slowly until you feel the resistance of the piston coming up to TDC. Then let the cord go in all the way, then pull it sharply with some authority. You should see fire in the hole.