valve guide reamer

looking to purchase TEC valve guide reamer #670283, please let me know if you have one you would like to sell. I purchased oversized valves and the reamer only to be notified they didn't have any reamers left .

delray

if you can't find the Tecumseh guide reamer? have you thought maybe just buying after market reamer. might be easier route.

if you can't find the Tecumseh guide reamer? have you thought maybe just buying after market reamer. might be easier route.
looking to purchase TEC valve guide reamer #670283, please let me know if you have one you would like to sell. I purchased oversized valves and the reamer only to be notified they didn't have any reamers left .
I found a high speed steel reamer .281" for cast iron does anyone know if this would be the correct reamer for my hs 40 oversized valves ?

This is all from memory, from way back...
Replacement valves are a 1/32”over 1/4”, or .281. I’ve used spiral reamers set-up on a bridgeport to assure concentricity.
Hand reaming is another thing altogether. I would source the Tec reamer or one with the same design. They are a reamer with a guide that the cutters follow and improves accuracy a bunch. Somebody’s gotta have one they would part with.
Just my .02 cents

Thanks , I did order an off brand but like you said I would prefer the Tecumseh , can't say I ever reamed anything before so will be a new experience , worst case I seen some have replaced the guides .

delray

also just be safe. make sure you mic everything out first before doing anything. that just might save you some headaches....

I'll admit I was just going to do the valves, piston ,cylinders, gaskets seals and hope for the best. I suppose when you say mic everything you are referring to the crankshaft and journals ?

I'll admit I was just going to do the valves, piston ,cylinders, gaskets seals and hope for the best. I suppose when you say mic everything you are referring to the crankshaft and journals ?
The tec
I would start measuring here...
In the tec service manual there is a page that lists engine specs for your engine. Comparing those ranges to your measurements can help you determine whether a part is a crankshaft or a paper weight.
Hope this helps,
Steve

delray

I was referring to your valve stem and your reamer. don't want just want to assume you have the right size reamer and or valve and find out later one of them was wrong? also doesn't hurt to look at the rest of your stuff too....

Thanks for the info , guess it is time to buy some more tools.
I use my 6”LCD decimal, fractional and metric reading dial calipers all the time. Same with a 1” and 2” capacity micrometers.
My cheap import drill index of fractional, numbered, letters and metric aren’t used for drilling. The drill shanks are used to determine small hole sizes, like carb jets.
I use my small hole gauge set several times a year as well.
Add decimal and metric standard and tapered feeler gauges.
Oh, SAE and metric thread gauges too.
Just a list of measuring tools I tend to use often.
Hope this helps,
Steve