Vintage Class MSPTEX Taco 22

MSPTREX

Picked up the bike at the beginning of 2017 and have slowly been collecting parts. Plan on doing the bike pretty close to original with the iconic purple paint, burnished wheels, re-pop seat by Karen, and a complete rebuild and repaint of the briggs! Hope you enjoy the progress as I post!

Attachments

Last edited:

MSPTREX

Thanks everyone! I have not seen to many 2 piece taco 22 frames. Serial is 6P157 so it is an early production number and the only year for bolt together 22 frames. Any other 2 piece frames would be a burrito if I'm not mistaken.

sonerenos

Definitely going to follow this one. I’m a taco enthusiast myself. Great star Kyle, looking forward to seeing the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes

MSPTREX

Sent wheels off to Florida today to cambo61 to be burnished. Can't wait to see them looking like new again. I decided to have him burnish the sprocket as well so it should match the wheels fairly well.

Before pictures attached. Forgot to get a before picture of the sprocket but it was spray painted black by someone.

Attachments

Last edited:

MSPTREX

Little update. Took some seat bracket measurements this morning for the seat Karen is making for me. Also got a call from cambo61 this morning saying he received the taco wheels. I was not sure if the sprocket could be removed from the wheel half so I did not try. He is going to attempt to get them apart so they can be burnished separately. Tomorrow I will start the disassembly of the briggs since its my day off for the week.

MSPTREX

Was a productive weekend for the 22 build!

cambo61 finished burnishing the wheels/sprocket the same day he received them. He has sent me pictures and they turned out amazing. I will take my own pictures when I receive them in the mail and share them while mounting tires. Or he posted them on his classified post :

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...ishing-minibike-pics-7.html?highlight=Burnish

Karen knocked out the seat over the weekend and judging by the pictures she sent, she did an amazing job as always! We both learned that the 2 piece taco 22 bikes have a little different seat bracket spacing then the later 22 bikes.

The tear down of the briggs turned out great besides finding a broken pull start retaining tab which explains why sometimes the easy start would not grab(see attached pics). But this might be a good thing in the end if I can find the right blower housing. The motor I have for the bike is really close to what the bike had originally. The bike when it was made would have had an 80202 3hp Briggs. The motor I have is an 80212 which is in the same family and basically all the parts are interchangeable between the 2 motors. With that being said I am on the hunt for a model 80202 3hp briggs blower housing preferably dated 1965 to 1969 that doesn't have broken tabs.

The rest of the tear down went great. The motor blower housing is dated 1970 but motor shows obvious signs it has been apart before at some point which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on who was inside. In this case it seems to be a great thing this time around since every bolt came out easily and nothing is stripped. The motor did run prior to tear down and had great compression. I do have a new rod and piston kit on the shelf but after looking inside the rod feels normal on the journal and the cylinder bore looks great. So the plan is to do a valve job while it is apart, get everything sand blasted, get ready for paint and final assembly with new gaskets plus NOS briggs parts.

Attachments

MSPTREX

Received the wheels back from cambo61 and wow these things are amazing. He really does an amazing job for the money, not to mention a great guy to have a conversation with! I will most definetly be sending him more in the future to be burnished.

Also received my seat from Karen and she out did herself as usual. This seat is beautiful and looks exactly like the an original would. Much better quality and looks then the ones on the taco site as well. Not my first seat from Karen and won't be my last!

I'm sort of at a stand still until next week. Waiting on a few more NOS Briggs parts for the motor rebuild and waiting on using a friends sandblaster to strip the motor for new paint. I did find an 80202 cover that I was looking for and got it ordered, should be here next week.

The handlebars for the bike are currently in California at Gt's Hobbies getting copied for another bike I am putting together. Rafa does great work there and has been great to me in the past. After I get the originals back I can get the frame blasted and checked over before I decide on paint or powder coat. Still unsure what route to go.

Attachments

Last edited: