Vintage Class Rupp Roadster Rebuild

1stBxMopar

The Roadster2 is a cool bike and looks great in purple, will you be re-doing it the original color???
I'll be watching this one, best of luck with your build.....

j57little

Yes, I will be keeping the purple. I found an old spec for the actual paint (Daewoo # SPI Special Purple Metallic (Spies Hecker 40623)), but none of that panned out. So matching the exact purple may be tough, but that's my goal. I've got a lot of rust pitting and many parts missing, but I will try to get it as close to original as possible.

If you visit blackwidowmotorsports he has all the paint codes listed. I'm sure you will need some parts also.:thumbsup: Good luck with your build.

1stBxMopar

Yes, I will be keeping the purple. I found an old spec for the actual paint (Daewoo # SPI Special Purple Metallic (Spies Hecker 40623)), but none of that panned out. So matching the exact purple may be tough, but that's my goal. I've got a lot of rust pitting and many parts missing, but I will try to get it as close to original as possible.
Go on line and look up Kemperle auto paint supply, call one of their stores and ask about cross referencing the Spies Hecker code to another such as PPG or Global. I did this with another Rupp color, (verde sanabria green met.) and it worked out well.
Hope this helps, good luck....

1stBxMopar

If you visit blackwidowmotorsports he has all the paint codes listed. I'm sure you will need some parts also.:thumbsup: Good luck with your build.
Karen, that code he listed was most likely gotten from the blackwidow site, the problem is not all paint suppliers sell Spies Hecker and unless there is a cross reference formula for a different brand it won't be an exact match. Only other option would be to bring in a part and have them do a color scan and try to match it , but that could be hit or miss...

Last edited:

Rupp 72

Call around to a few other paint shops, someone in your area should carry Spies Hecker paint. It is very high end paint and very expensive though. But looks fantastic:thumbsup:

j57little

Rupp-Primed.jpg

OK, it may look like I'm losing ground, but the frame has been straightened, blasted, smoothed and primed. With any luck I'll have a paint match later today! LATER...And sure enough we have a great match that started with a 42% match with a Chrysler paint (no, not plum crazy). It is a medium purple with fine silver metallic in one layer, but it will require a clear top coat. I think it will work very well!

Last edited:

j57little

AND...(assuming it runs well) I now have a motor, but it will take some work. It is an HS40, but with an HS50 shroud and short shaft, but I believe I can still get it pretty close to original condition. It does have the lighting coil (that works) and I have the angled intake and correct filter canister. On the down side, it was on a Fox and is painted white with a red pull start. Like the frame it will have to be blasted, sanded and painted. Engine-1.jpg

Last edited:

j57little

RuppPrimed.JPG RuppTank.jpg

Progress has been slow, but still progress. The frame has been blasted, smoothed and primed. The dents in the tank have been repaired and the color matched as close to original as possible. As rusty as the frame was, the area under the tank and beneath the tank decal were in very good condition so a good match could be made. The swing arm bushing is pin staked and I suspect very hard to remove, so a new nylon busing is likely to be sized to fill the space up to the original outer bushing sleeve that will stay. The headlamp nuts were so rusted on the inside you can't tell they were nuts. Getting them out will be tough without totally destroying the plastic that is already in bad shape. One of the bezel screws is also broken off in the plastic. I found some wheels, but they are very rough. I suppose I'll have to use them until something better comes along. Fenders are still on the shortage list. But it's coming along!