Vintage Kart Build ( Clone )

Cuda54

I really like how it is coming along! It looks like it will fun driver. Are you going with one or two engines? I had a old bird cart for my boys I had always wanted to clone. It was set up for twin engines and it had slicks on all 4. What color are you thinking about for it?

Attachments

Thanks Cuda , as far as engines ..just one for now and It will be in the center Instead off to one side. Haven't really thought much as far as color....but It will be bright for sure !

Last edited:
[MENTION=47323]OND[/MENTION] You know that summer is almost half over..... Where are the progress pics????? :hammer:

The Grandson will be back in school before he gets to ride it at this rate...... :001_tt2:

Doug

PS; We need an Emoji for Stirring the Pot.......

I had a stock predator on my grand kids go-kart and it was just right :thumbsup: I left the low oil sensor hooked up so they couldn't get to crazy, just remember to unhook it if you want to take it for a rip :laugh:

[MENTION=47323]OND[/MENTION] You know that summer is almost half over..... Where are the progress pics????? :hammer:

The Grandson will be back in school before he gets to ride it at this rate...... :001_tt2:

Doug

PS; We need an Emoji for Stirring the Pot.......

Yes I know this Doug , time is definitely slipping away.....but just been really busy with home/work stuff. Darn grass just won't quit growing and then it rains every other day ! :censure::censure:

I had a stock predator on my grand kids go-kart and it was just right :thumbsup: I left the low oil sensor hooked up so they couldn't get to crazy, just remember to unhook it if you want to take it for a rip :laugh:
Yep Randy the oil sensor will stay hooked up for now . :thumbsup:

I did manage to squeeze in a little time on the kart this weekend. Engine plate cut, slotted and welded on. :hack::grind::weld: The engine got a little progress done to it , top plate, fuel pump , new fuel hoses, Tec AF housing and a Robertson torque tube to give it a racing kart look ...plus a little tone.:wink:

Last edited:
I like the look of what you have done with the engine. Did your engine come with the white shroud, or did you paint it? Either way I like it. Why make is the engine?

I like the look of what you have done with the engine. Did your engine come with the white shroud, or did you paint it? Either way I like it. Why make is the engine?
Check the valve cover Aston. Its a Hemi Predator. That's the only way I could tell what it was...

I've got only one die and its a 1'' for mostly 1'' of tubing, but it will bend 7/8'' ok to . For some reason back in the day I think most mini bikes were made with 7/8'' DOM ( Drawn Over Mandrel) tubing......must have been cheap and plentiful back then....cause it sure ain't now ! :no: I buy my 1'' tubing .095 wall for a $1.00 a foot.

Last edited:
Aston, It's a JD Squared #3 bender...Its a manual bender not hydraulic.

I have the same bender and it has served me well for the last 25 or so years. I also have 1'' dies with a 180 degree bend capability.
[MENTION=47323]OND[/MENTION] the 1'' dies will bend 3/4'' black iron pipe too... It is just a few thousandths bigger than 1''. Something that you might find handy... Use plenty of lube to help it slide the die shoe.

Doug

Believe it or not this kart is rusting just sitting in my shop....looks like most of the welded area's are rusting , freaking humidity ! :shrug:
But I got a little more done over the weekend. Robbed a good set of pedals off of a old parts kart that's not being used. Took some 5/16 '' metal rod and got the throttle completely worked out , also got the brake pedal mounted and the rod run to the rear wheels. Think I'm going to do a band brake on the live axle. Ordered the axle and a sprocket adapter , I'll be able to use the 2 piece kart gears on this adapter.

Thanks Jquinn ! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Ordered the axle and a sprocket adapter , I'll be able to use the 2 piece kart gears on this adapter.

I hope that your sprocket adapter is straighter than the one I had. Brand new and it had 3/8'' run out.... Better check it before you use it. I bought a good aluminum adapter for the drift trike and threw that pos in the scrap metal bin. Heads up on the key way. It doesn't come with a hole over the key.