Vintage open Arco? unknown

red baron

progress is coming slow now as there's lots of test fitting and failed ideas' I'm getting heat so the budget is blown which is fine because it makes me be more resourceful. I decided against the RVL silencer and went with a hot dog muffler. I welded that on today and got it on the bike. My OldMiniBikes package came today so I have a front axle and decal for later. I got the motor bolted in its final spot, chains on as well as brake and cable. throttle is modified to work ( thanks OND for the pointers) cables cut to length, new handle bar risers and possibly a solution to my dislike of the K&N style filter hanging off the side of the motor. I'm beating my head against the wall trying to figure out how to fill the void above the motor. I was going to put the fuel tank there but it will be a real pain to fill it. I'm open to any input on this IMG_0860.JPG IMG_0862.JPG

First off the bike is looking good ! I like it ..:thumbsup: What tank are you going to run on it Brian ? I might have a lower profile Honda tank or a aluminum top plate with no linkage on it .

red baron

First off the bike is looking good ! I like it ..:thumbsup: What tank are you going to run on it Brian ? I might have a lower profile Honda tank or a aluminum top plate with no linkage on it .
Thank you guys. Eric I thank you for your offer and I truly appreciate it but IMG_0851.JPG IMG_0856.JPG IMG_0855.JPG IMG_0857.JPG I'm really trying to come up with something innovative but retro looking at the same time. There has got to be a way to make these motors more appealing. While the plate and Honda tank would work it's not the look I'm after. I have a cylinder tank I really want to use but I'm not stuck on it. I was putting stuff I had laying around the shop on top of the motor hoping something would inspire an idea. I had a dryer vent on there and it showed promise. I messed with some mock ups but I couldn't get it right. I think I could be on to something if I spent more time with it. Here are my failed ideas

red baron

OK then...I like the idea of the cylinder tank !
Here's one of mine . [MENTION=56391]red baron[/MENTION]
Wow that's nice!!! I considered mounting the tank in that manor as well as offset to one side. Where did you get that tank? How about the chain guard?

Tank came off Ebay years ago the guy also had the smaller cylinder tanks for cheap, these were NOS tanks. Wish I had bought more . Chain guard is original to the Atlas mini bike also from ebay.

red baron

I went through some of the other pictures of that build, you got some serious attention to detail. I'm going to try the tank mounted like yours to see how it looks. Thank you again for the helpful ideas.

red baron

IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0872.JPG

I goofed and cut too much off the filter base cap. I tried a little caveman plastic welding and it actually worked, at least well enough for what it is. I'm happy that this worked out this well. I don't like filter pods hanging off the side and this to me looks a little more old school. I'm on the fence whether I'm going to cut some of the plastic away from area around the choke and fuel levers and the area opposite. I don't know if seeing more of the carb would be a good thing or not. Maybe paint the filter base tube aluminum so it looks like part of the motor?

Last edited:

red baron

I had this old Clinton fuel tank but it leaked, no it poured out of the seam. I cleaned up the seam with a wire wheel and tried to re-solder it but it wouldn't take. I figured I had nothing to lose so I split the tank so I could clean the joint really good. I really had no expectations of being able to put it back together but I figured I might learn something by trying. I cleaned the inside of the tank and all but polished the seam joint and went to work. It soldered really nice and there were no stubborn areas so I think it was a success. Now I know at least some of these tanks can be repaired but I would caution to use extreme care with open flame! I have a lot of experience soldering so I was confident with MAPP gas but it really is too hot, propane or even better a high wattage soldering iron would be the tool of choice to prevent warping and have better control of the heat. I think this tank had water in it and froze so started out deformed. IMG_0887.JPG IMG_0888.JPG IMG_0891.JPG

I had this old Clinton fuel tank but it leaked, no it poured out of the seam. I cleaned up the seam with a wire wheel and tried to re-solder it but it wouldn't take. I figured I had nothing to lose so I split the tank so I could clean the joint really good. I really had no expectations of being able to put it back together but I figured I might learn something by trying. I cleaned the inside of the tank and all but polished the seam joint and went to work. It soldered really nice and there were no stubborn areas so I think it was a success. Now I know at least some of these tanks can be repaired but I would caution to use extreme care with open flame! I have a lot of experience soldering so I was confident with MAPP gas but it really is too hot, propane or even better a high wattage soldering iron would be the tool of choice to prevent warping and have better control of the heat. I think this tank had water in it and froze so started out deformed. View attachment 104416 View attachment 104417 View attachment 104418
Nice job on the tank Brian.