VM22/ Mikuni Type 3 Throttle Cable Adapter?

I have a Mikuni that sits beneath the frame/seat with about two inches of clearance from the top of the carburetor to the frame/seat.

On my karts, I use a 90 degree adapter for the Tilly's to get what I need. Is there something for the Mikunis? I see some throttle cables on line, with 90 degree adapters and 90 degree adapters for sale alone. All of them have a threaded end and a jam nut. The Mikuni doesn't have anything to accept that, just a "nipple" where the rubber grommet pops over.

I make my own Mikuni cables, so how it operates the slide isn't the problem for me, it's the exit from the carb that puts the cable into the seat that is. Thank you for any solid advice.

Dave look at this

Not so much the cable but the 90 degree end . When Tillotson use to make these years ago they were no more than 3/16 steel brake line and fittings you can get at most automotive shops .

Last edited:
I don’t. I bought a kit off eBay with cables nipples etc. I am pretty sure it’s Teflon lined but I will check tomorrow. I bend them with about a 2” radius and they work ok but it’s definitly stiffer than if I don’t bend it as sharply.

Pic sucks but if you expand it you can see cable bend.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. I do have some more 90 degree bends, but I am not wild about drilling the top of that carburetor and threading it. I suppose I could heat shrink it or seal it with a fuel line. After all this time, I figured there would be something that didn't require drilling and using Tilly linkage parts. :) Eric, that is a cool cable. Ole, looking forward to a better pic in the AM. Thanks again.

I decided to give this elbow a try. Some of you will recognize it from EC's stock. The end beneath the rubber grommet is threaded for the lock nut that holds it in place. I didn't use that, just shoved it in the hole, it fit snug, and I can pull vacuum on the seat there at the throttle cable.

Once I repaired the microscopic C clip and set the needle at center, I measured and soldered it up with silver solder. (Hard solder) I used a small piece of brass tube (shown) as the ferrule, then soldered it on after tinning the cable to accept it. (wicked)

I will add that the length of cable shown from the carb top to the soldered ferrule is my first of THREE tries. Once I installed the slide, I had way more slack, and had to redo. Twice. (grin)