Wanted early to mid 70's Sundowner

DDA

Was browsing pics and saw my Sundowner bought from Grants department store in either 1974 or 1975. Had the front headlight, black seat and orange gas tank. I think the engine was a sachs but not 100% sure. If anyone has one feel free to reach out. Thanks

jspbtown

I just started a rebuild. It won't be an original because parts are almost impossible to find and when they are they are too expensive for me to get my money back. Red bike.jpg

DDA

Great machine, what year is it. I don't recall the rectangular tank. How did you get started finding the basic frame, etc. Maybe it a project for me as well.

DDA

Wow, I would take in a second. Probably cost more to ship. I saw one on a site which looked like an auction but I couldn't contact anyone. it was $1500 done. would have bought it right then. I'm pouring through this site now to try and get educated. You have been great.

jspbtown

The rectangular tank was just the tank that was attached to the replacement Jacobsen motor that someone swapped over. The tank and the bent top tube are not stock. Its definitely been hacked up but you know I just love taking these old bikes that have been abused and bringing them back to something that someone can enjoy.

Some examples....this Rupp is far from stock but it was totally trashed and now it will make someone happy... Starting.jpg

done2.jpg

And my recent chopper build...it was used and abused and now. even though its far from stock, it will make someone happy.

yellow.jpg neck.jpg Done3.jpg

DDA welcome to the madness... you have found the place for any and all things mini-bike and more!
Don't look down your nose at a bike half way across the the good Lord's half-acre. Especially if you can be patient. Sometimes the cost plus shipping can turn out to be cost effective as a whole.
I've used U-ship a cpl of times with good luck. It depends on the ppl selling if they're willing to hold on to it till u can get it picked up. Just gotta be extremely flexible on your dates. More so on ther delivery.
After all its a mini-bike and they take up little room in the big scheme of shippers. Easy money for them.
Just a thot... and welcome sir to the rabbit hole, they do multiply don'tchu know. Once you've been bitten by the bug next thing you know you have two of'm, then... three... then... the bag of Lays Tater Chips is gone! ;)
Consider yourself warned, unlike i was Lol :D

Lizardking

Was browsing pics and saw my Sundowner bought from Grants department store in either 1974 or 1975. Had the front headlight, black seat and orange gas tank. I think the engine was a sachs but not 100% sure. If anyone has one feel free to reach out. Thanks
Looks like you'll have to post a more straightforward wanted ad.

Looks like you'll have to post a more straightforward wanted ad.
His wanted ad was fine. It was the follow on comments that earned a complaint from our fellow forum participants. Each time a member comments in a thread, it "bumps" or moves it to the top of the queue, moving other ads down.

Instead of deleting the extra commentary and opinions, I moved the entire thread.

The rules for classified ads are clearly stated in the stickies in all of the classified ad headings.

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/attn-sellers-and-potential-buyers.92199/

DDA

His wanted ad was fine. It was the follow on comments that earned a complaint from our fellow forum participants. Each time a member comments in a thread, it "bumps" or moves it to the top of the queue, moving other ads down.

Instead of deleting the extra commentary and opinions, I moved the entire thread.

The rules for classified ads are clearly stated in the stickies in all of the classified ad headings.

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/attn-sellers-and-potential-buyers.92199/
Thanks, Lizardking was kind enough to help me out. BTW, great site.

DDA

The rectangular tank was just the tank that was attached to the replacement Jacobsen motor that someone swapped over. The tank and the bent top tube are not stock. Its definitely been hacked up but you know I just love taking these old bikes that have been abused and bringing them back to something that someone can enjoy.

Some examples....this Rupp is far from stock but it was totally trashed and now it will make someone happy... View attachment 275943

View attachment 275944

And my recent chopper build...it was used and abused and now. even though its far from stock, it will make someone happy.

View attachment 275945 View attachment 275946 View attachment 275947
J - These are really nice!! DDA

DDA

DDA welcome to the madness... you have found the place for any and all things mini-bike and more!
Don't look down your nose at a bike half way across the the good Lord's half-acre. Especially if you can be patient. Sometimes the cost plus shipping can turn out to be cost effective as a whole.
I've used U-ship a cpl of times with good luck. It depends on the ppl selling if they're willing to hold on to it till u can get it picked up. Just gotta be extremely flexible on your dates. More so on ther delivery.
After all its a mini-bike and they take up little room in the big scheme of shippers. Easy money for them.
Just a thot... and welcome sir to the rabbit hole, they do multiply don'tchu know. Once you've been bitten by the bug next thing you know you have two of'm, then... three... then... the bag of Lays Tater Chips is gone! ;)
Consider yourself warned, unlike i was Lol :D
Thanks Mark, If you come across one feel free to send my way. I bought a Vespa a few years back and love it now I want to have something from my childhood. I am afraid I will then move onto the dirt bikes I had and then no more room in the garage. DDA