Wanted: plastic model builder for minibike model kit.

I got a MPC model kit for Christmas :) It is a 1/8 scale Rupp Roadster, 6" long.
Im old. I used to build models when I was young. Now I have arthritis and doing small intricate tasks like building a model is damn near impossible. I can work in the garage on cars and minibikes, but not this.
Is there anyone here that builds models?
PM me a price or I might be able to trade you some parts or something.
Let me know.
Thanks
Danford1

JimmyC

I just finished mine and it took about 5-6 hours not including drying time. I used Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy on the plastic parts and JB weld on the rubber (seat, tires). I'm not a model builder but it came out ok. I'm not looking to build for you but just wanted to share my experience. It was more of a challange than I expected. The pipe was molded incorrectly and needed to be cut and put back together spinning the pipe to work. The kick stand was to long and need to be trimmed to get the bike to stand up.

3.JPG 5.JPG

Last edited:
I just finished mine and it took about 5-6 hours not including drying time. I used Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy on the plastic parts and JB weld on the rubber (seat, tires). I'm not a model builder but it came out ok. I'm not looking to build for you but just wanted to share my experience. It was more of a challange than I expected. The pipe was molded incorrectly and needed to be cut and put back together spinning the pipe to work. The kick stand was to long and need to be trimmed to get the bike to stand up.
I'm out of the model building game now but I used to build them all the time and I can tell you I've yet to see one straight out of the box that didn't need or have to have some kind of modification to finish. You did a really good job on it.

Thank you guys.
I got a couple PM's right away. I may have a guy from Michigan build it. We just need to talk about making the proper "arrangements".
neo71665, thanks for the pictures. I hope mine comes out as nice as that.

Danford1

View attachment 92492 View attachment 92493
That looks great. :thumbsup: Nice job.

ugh why can't I use photobucket links here! frustrating!

I just finished the '55 Chevy truck just last week. Had been working on it off and on for 3 years.

20140809_131218_zpsuwlumqh7.JPG
20150929_190651_zpsxr8cjnsf.JPG
20151213_201007.png_zpsbvhd9hsj.JPEG
20160813_180101_zpstd2tc3ys.JPG
20170102_212127_zpsqd5mrzlg.JPG

I been working on mine. Its going ok. I must say the back sprocket with the rubber chain has me confused. is the chain suposed to ride between the sprocket and wheel? I just put the sprocket in close to the tire and glued the chain onto it. Its a bit of a mess. They should have used a plastic chain like the front one

JimmyC

I been working on mine. Its going ok. I must say the back sprocket with the rubber chain has me confused. is the chain suposed to ride between the sprocket and wheel? I just put the sprocket in close to the tire and glued the chain onto it. Its a bit of a mess. They should have used a plastic chain like the front one
I put the chain over the sprocket (no glue) after everything was assembeled. If I did it again, I would trim the teeth off the sprocket where the chain rides.

That's a good looking build. I love the forced perspective in the photo. It looks like a full-sized bike sitting in your living room.

I built lots of models as a child and young adult, cars at first, then airplanes. Marriage, real cars and motorcycle racing sort of pulled me away from it. My kids didn't enjoy it as much as I did. Well, the kids are grown and gone, and I finally took my wife's advice and gave up racing (I just photograph them now). So as retirement draws near, I've collected lots of model kits to help occupy my time. They're sitting in a big footlocker waiting patiently for me. I'm looking forward to it. I think that I'll have to pick up one of those minibike kits.