Wardog's Balloon Tire Scratch Build - Anything Goes

I am building this bike for the Oregon Gambler 100 mini bike offroad endurance race in May. The race is 18 5.6 laps on single track trails with strait aways, whoops section, and the "devil's butthole" which I'm guessing is mud. There is a 3hp and under class, and an over 3hp class. Their definition of a mini bike is a two wheeled machine powered by an industrial style engine with a centrifugal clutch. I'm entering the 3hp and under class because I feel like it won't be as competitive...... and I aim to win, ha.

The plan is a scrach built single sided frame and forks, 79cc HF Predator, 2 speed jackshaft (they didn't say anything about multiple clutches), and 22x10-8 Kenda Snow Mad tires on widened wheels. Yes, I know the tires are huge for a 3hp engine, which is why I'm running a 17.5 low gear and a 10.7 high. According to my calculations, with a 1500 rpm spring in the jackshaft clutch, second gear should kick in around 3300 rpm. Engine mods will be intake, exhaust, gov removal, and rejetting. If the engine will rev to 5000 rpm after the mods the top speed should be about 30.5 mph in high gear. This bike will not have suspension for simplicity and light weight, but will have a nice hydraulic mountain bike shock under the seat.

MSPTREX

This will be a really neat build. Definetly subscribing! I run the same motor on one of my mini bikes. Affordable go karts has an intake kit for a 19mm slide carb that works well and is straight bolt on.

How is the power of the little 79cc? I have zero experience with them. I am considering a 19mm slide carb and air filter from Amazon for $30 and just fabricate an intake manifold. Is it worth the trouble? Are the slide carbs really better? By the time I find a high flow filter and rig up throttle linkage for the stock carb the $ will be about the same.

MSPTREX

How is the power of the little 79cc? I have zero experience with them. I am considering a 19mm slide carb and air filter from Amazon for $30 and just fabricate an intake manifold. Is it worth the trouble? Are the slide carbs really better? By the time I find a high flow filter and rig up throttle linkage for the stock carb the $ will be about the same.
They are definetly low on power, specially in the lower rpms and really not that much torque either. The 2-speed idea should help it a ton, specially with the large tires. I noticed a big increase in throttle response and acceleration after adding the 19mm China slide carb and adding a straight pipe. Overall I'm pretty disappointed in the power of the motor and it is on a tiny bike.

T-Town Mini

I like the big tire single-sided no suspension idea but, yeah...that engine choice, though.

Maybe, have a backup plan for alternate powerplant just in case it lacks adequate torque.

Good luck...really want to see this one built.

Awesome I think the engine should be adequate it my take a little fine tuning with the gearing in the end but your are on the right track. Just keep it light as possible so when you do end up pushing it wont tire you out

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

jeep2003 knows me too well...... My other fat tire bike has a bit of a weight problem, ha.

I finally made a little progress and widened a wheel 3" with some 12 ga sheet. The wheels are now 8x11.5 which looks just right on the 22x10 tires. SHE'S GONNA BE A FATTY!

Of course there was no way the bead was going to seat. I set it on fire a few times with various flammable liquids with no luck.

The solution I came up with was to cut some 12" pieces of pvc pipe and stretch the beads in front of a space heater for a day, then let cool. After mounting the tire it seated both beads first try with a shot of starting fluid. :laugh:

Thanks guys.

I wasn't overly productive this weekend, but I did get a solid plan for the frame. I roughly mocked it up to make sure the engine fits, and there is plenty of room for the jackshaft. The tube is 1-5/8" od 1/8 wall, and I'm going to trim quite a bit more off the ends....... so not too heavy.