Washer needed here?

Is there any good reason i should put a washer between this collar, which is part of the drum brake, and the frame before I tighten down the nut on the rear axel? I cant remember if there was one before I took it apart. A common occurrence in my life...

I wouldn't put a washer there unless the axle slipped without one. If I did put a washer there I would consider using a toothed washer, either the external or internal type. Of course most of us minibike builders aren't racing our bikes so the slight weight difference probably doesn't matter. Having said that, I always like to bear in mind that Colin Chapman, designer and founder of Lotus cars, and perhaps the king of building light, would raise all kinds of hell if he caught a mechanic installing a washer where it wasn't, in his view, needed.

I wouldn't put a washer there unless the axle slipped without one. If I did put a washer there I would consider using a toothed washer, either the external or internal type. Of course most of us minibike builders aren't racing our bikes so the slight weight difference probably doesn't matter. Having said that, I always like to bear in mind that Colin Chapman, designer and founder of Lotus cars, and perhaps the king of building light, would raise all kinds of hell if he caught a mechanic installing a washer where it wasn't, in his view, needed.
Well i certainly dont want any heavy washers slowing down my roll! Thanks!

Some basic thoughts, since I am not able to see what you are dealing with:

If the gap were wide enough, I would certainly install a washer as a spacer. I try and take that slack up within the drum assembly however.

Aside from that, several bikes I've restored carried a washer there to spread the load from the bearing center to the frame hangers. This is especially apparent on the Cat (Muskin) 10" wheel based frames, where the rear axle hanger is large in diameter, but relatively thin. A weak point.

I've received quite a few bikes for restoration where the hangers were bent because a spacer was not used, and the axle nuts were over torqued.