Weak Spark on Tec H60, magnets ???

I'm getting a weak spark on an older Tec H60. Replaced points, condenser, coil, spark plug. Gaped points and plug. Was get no spark, but now getting a weak spark. How do I know if the flywheel magnets are weak, and /or need to be recharged ? How do the magnets get recharged ? Thank you for your help.

MB165

take a 6-8 inch screwdriver, just hang it from your finger tips within a inch- inch and a half of the magnets. it should draw up pretty fast and tight.
do you have any others to compare it to?

MB165, Thank you for the info. I do not have anything to compare it to. Do the magnets usually wear and get weaker ? This is an older engine, maybe late 60s early 70s.
Thanks.

MB165

I doubt your magnets are bad, but its possible.
I have only seen two weak flywheels in my entire career. One was a NLA 16hp cast iron single. It was sent it back to Briggs & Stratton in Miluakee, the other a push mower engine and was replaced.

Yea, this flywheel doesn't have the glued on type magnets, they're built right into the flywheel. I did the screw driver test that was recommended, and they seem pretty strong.

They are fine.. A ring of magnets the entire inside the flywheel is a lighted wheel..

if the timing is way off it won't fire very well either..

You gotta make sure the coil is grounded to the block good.. All the wire ends are clean and snugged well, check the plug wire over for bad spots, points need to be real clean.. You can sand them till they look good, but will still have film on them, so a dollar bill wiped through them helps a great deal.. You don't want any little black streaks on the bill..

If EVERYTHING looks great, brand new points and condenser, tried 3 or 4 different plugs, and STILL nothing, the coil itself may be bad..

Spark plugs can be junk rite out of the box...

They are fine.. A ring of magnets the entire inside the flywheel is a lighted wheel..

if the timing is way off it won't fire very well either..

You gotta make sure the coil is grounded to the block good.. All the wire ends are clean and snugged well, check the plug wire over for bad spots, points need to be real clean.. You can sand them till they look good, but will still have film on them, so a dollar bill wiped through them helps a great deal.. You don't want any little black streaks on the bill..

If EVERYTHING looks great, brand new points and condenser, tried 3 or 4 different plugs, and STILL nothing, the coil itself may be bad..

Spark plugs can be junk rite out of the box...
Uhh yeah. uhh.. plugs can be junk out of the box and so can condensers some have found that out too. If the coil is old might as well spend 20 bucks or so and get that for piece of mind if the coil wire has cracks in it because coils dont last forever and fresh tuneups help a lot.

As he said clean and buff the contacts even on a new set because old nos can oxidise in the in box from dampness so I use 4 aught - 0000 polishing wool and wd 40 because it conforms to all surfaces pretty well when polishing and blow clean with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Might as well buff under the contact plate where it mounts to the engine block for maximum ground and buff the condensor with steel wool all over to remove any oxidation on it also to insure proper good ground when its mounted on the engine block too.

"Condensers are the heart beat of the system because it has to control occillation of the primary and secondary magnetic ciruit in the coil for maximum fire power". Then set the timing and it should run fine...:thumbsup:

Of course a nice clean job on the carb helps too... Just do like we all do - just keep pouring the money into it and it's bound to run great. :wink:

If it knocks you on your butt while holding on to the coil wire while pulling the rope - then you did just fine...

Turns out the armature (?) was off. I turned to a guy that's a friend of a friend, called in a favor, and engine is now running great, again. Thats the difference between 30 years engine experience ( the guy) and 1 year experience (me). Thank you all for your input.