Well your president traded

PatrickCraik

I need to clarify something in this post….I’m not any anyway shape or means promoting the lunatic that is Trump….just pointing out stupidity and ignorance….

God bless Richard Milhous Nixon
Wow, Lot's wrong with this whole thread. No surprise to me what biden has done, she checks all the boxes. The surprise is calling a former predident names when he's been the only guy standing up to commies for decades. Another surprise is praising Nixon. He started kissing chinas ass in the 60's, supposedly to end the Vietnam War, that worked well,eh? It was all about sending our manufacturing there on the cheap,we know what that's done. He single handedly screwed up our money system by taking us off the gold standard, allowing for uncontrolled printing and spending. I think he was a decent statesman after he left,that's about it

Gatecrasher

Yeah Paul Whelan was a real "hero" according to Fox News. In their words, and I quote, "A Marine Veteran". The only problem is Fox neglects to tell the entire story when it doesn't suit their narrative.

Whelan was dishonorably-discharged from the Marines in 2008 for larceny and fraud. He was a Staff Sergeant in Iraq using fake social security #s and rubber checks to steal money. He was court-martialed and convicted of felonies and was stripped of his rank and discharged from the Marine Corps with bad-conduct.

Here's his appeal that was unsuccessful.

https://www.jag.navy.mil/courts/documents/archive/2008/WHELAN, P.N. 200800152 PCE.pdf

So all I'm saying is you guys should dig a little deeper before you post a bunch of BS like this on any forum let alone this one.

Whelan wasn't released because he is charged with "Espionage" not a half-gram of hash oil. The Russians wouldn't negotiate. I'm sure they will still try to get the fool out one way or another but I'm not really shedding any tears for him.

The CIA claims there is no way he works for them. They claim his dishonorable discharge would have excluded him from that.

Gatecrasher

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

She was over there playing pro basketball and got caught with a small amount of oil. Stupid yes but not that bad of a crime. She got 9 years.

The guy they swapped for her had completed 15 years of his 25 year sentence so it wasn't like he got off scot-free. I still don't like trading these Russian criminals for Americans held hostage on far-lesser crimes but the alternative is to do nothing.

It's still not totally-clear why Whelan was even over there in the 1st place. The story goes that he was there to attend a friend's wedding. Well that sounds kinda weird to me. Who has friends who get married in Russia? Why not get married in North Korea? lol

"In June 2020, Whelan was sentenced to 16 years of hard labor in a Russian prison for espionage, in a trial that he has argued was politically motivated and heightened tensions between the United States and Russia.

His attorney, Vladimir Zherebenkov, has said his client unwittingly received a flash drive containing “state secrets” while visiting Russia for a wedding in 2018. Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Whelan was caught “red-handed,” during a spy mission.

Whelan, arrested Dec. 28, 2018, in a Moscow hotel, has said he thought the flash drive that he received from an acquaintance contained holiday photos. Whelan, his family and the U.S. government have repeatedly stated that the charges are baseless and that he was framed."

We may never know WTF he was up to over there. Maybe he was framed and maybe not, but he was caught with a flash drive someone supposedly "gave" him.

Brittany Griner never claimed she was framed though. She admitted taking the hash oil and didn't claim it was planted. She claims she forgot about it and didn't realize it was in her baggage but that's a little hard to believe.

I know one thing for sure. If the Russians had given me the option of only freeing Brittany or Paul... Paul would still be in Russia although I don't think they really had the choice. The Russians aren't willing to release Whelan. At least not now.