western flyer trail flite ss400 carburator replacement

My mom gave me this mini bike from when she was 12. It's been garage kept its whole life and has cleaned up nicely. I'm not a big gear head so I would like some input on a new carburetor and brake for it. Seems to be the only things wrong with it. Thanks for any advice. Can't wait to get it running. Have it completely stripped down now. 20200501_190427.jpg

That’s cool I’m sure the experts will chime in but it looks to me to be a trail flight maybe? Probably a hs40....so inexpensive would be a Chinese carb off eBay $12-15...pretty simple...looks pretty stock good luck

My mom gave me this mini bike from when she was 12. It's been garage kept its whole life and has cleaned up nicely. I'm not a big gear head so I would like some input on a new carburetor and brake for it. Seems to be the only things wrong with it. Thanks for any advice. Can't wait to get it running. Have it completely stripped down now. View attachment 261999
In my opinion, the original carb is the best choice. If you do not have the skills to rebuild it, a China copy would get you going and maybe a member here could help you with a correct rebuild. Not sure what those had for brakes originally so I can't really help there. Glad to see it getting a second life!

Welcome. This is a great site. Cool bike. Resist any urges to modify it.
In my opinion, the original carb is the best choice. If you do not have the skills to rebuild it, a China copy would get you going and maybe a member here could help you with a correct rebuild. Not sure what those had for brakes originally so I can't really help there. Glad to see it getting a second life!
Thank you. I'm sure I can rebuild it myself with the proper kit. The brake is like a metal band that squeezes around the rear drum. I know i probably sound like a dummy but I'm new lol. This seems like a great little hobby to get into tho!

That’s cool I’m sure the experts will chime in but it looks to me to be a trail flight maybe? Probably a hs40....so inexpensive would be a Chinese carb off eBay $12-15...pretty simple...looks pretty stock good luck
It is an HS40. 4hp. Would I need a specific number for a carb match?

Thank you. I'm sure I can rebuild it myself with the proper kit. The brake is like a metal band that squeezes around the rear drum. I know i probably sound like a dummy but I'm new lol. This seems like a great little hobby to get into tho!
Best way to order a kit or carb is to take the info from the tag on the blower housing of the engine(front bottom) and plug it into partstree.com or similar websites. You can take the part number of the carburetor and google it for a replacement or repair kits. A repair kit may be listed there also.
Rear brake is simple. Measure the diameter of the brake drum and order a band thats a size smaller. So a 4 1/4-4 1/2" drum, I would order a 4" band. They can be bought from Amazon, Ebay and other popular websites.

Best way to order a kit or carb is to take the info from the tag on the blower housing of the engine(front bottom) and plug it into partstree.com or similar websites. You can take the part number of the carburetor and google it for a replacement or repair kits. A repair kit may be listed there also.
Rear brake is simple. Measure the diameter of the brake drum and order a band thats a size smaller. So a 4 1/4-4 1/2" drum, I would order a 4" band. They can be bought from Amazon, Ebay and other popular websites.
Thank you for the advice. I couldn't find a number anywhere on the carb but haven't looked on the motor. It still has the serial number stickers on the frame tho.

You'll get a wide variety of answers on this just like Ford vs Chevy, but for the vintage stuff i tend to use what it called for originally which would be SAE30 wt in this case i believe...
Ya I can't find what it originally called for. Bike looks awesome all cleaned up and the chrome came out amazing minus some unfixable blemishes.

So I got the new carb, replaced spark plug, fuel line, and used starting fluid and the thing still wont start. It has compression and it's getting a spark. This is the point where it goes beyond my knowledge. Any suggestions?

I have not yet but me and my step dad figured that's our next step after he got his hands on it today. We're not really sure how to time it tho. He has an idea but not exactly sure.