What’s the deal with this clutch ???

this was on a roller my son picked up so not sure if it’s good or not. My question is what is that part with the two set screws, is that part of the clutch? Looks like it’s not. Also the key way looks trapped in there.

Attachments

Harquebus

That is part of it but those set screws seem devilishly loooong.

The keyway and key in the shaft and the clutch, respectively, is what "does all the work".

Not unusual at all. Max Torque still offers the the "built-in" key as one of their options. Yes, the part you are asking about is part of the clutch. The set screws are not original- someone replaced them with longer ones. On some applications I have done the same thing as they are easier to access with a Allen wrench as compared to when they are recessed into the threaded hole.
Michael

But usually you don’t want to lock the clutch down on the shaft, you would want it to move a bit given you have the shaft end bolt and washer in place correct?

Triley41395

But usually you don’t want to lock the clutch down on the shaft, you would want it to move a bit given you have the shaft end bolt and washer in place correct?
The inside is always turning when the engine is on. As you add throttle it spins faster moving the spring loaded shoes outward. When the shoes ingage the outer bell/drum it then spins moving the chain.

SAS289

I would open it up and have a look. Sand all the rust out of the drum. Clean and prep the bushing with a few drops of oil.

Harquebus

To add to what Triley41395 said, the inner part of the clutch that spins with the engine at idle speed is fixed firmly to the engine shaft.

The outer clutch bell housing has a little bit of side to side and lateral play as it has to fit loose enough for the inner part to spin freely; it cannot be too tight or it would drag and cause a lot of friction heat. Once the clutch shoes engage with higher RPM, the whole assembly connects and moves as one.

I agree with SAS289. If the condition of the clutch is unknown it would not hurt to disassemble and clean it. You can do that by removing the external Circlip seen in photo #2 and then slide the clutch apart. You'll need a special set of pliers to remove the circlip though, with tips that fit the two holes on it. . . . .

And don't forget to oil the clutch bushing with 1 or 2 drops of oil while running, more if there's a lot of idling and not lots of high RPM use.