What are these bearings called ?

Hello Folks.

Looking for new bearings for my kidney bean wheels.

The original bearings appear sealed, so from the front, it looks all metal, from the edge of the hub, all the way up to the race...like so:

20200329_141719.jpg
20200329_153722.jpg

What are these type bearings called ?

Thank you !

No matter what brand bearing you get, take a sharp exact knife or real thin blade and carefully take off the seals on both sides, you will amazed how little grease is in all of them, Put on some gloves and pack some more grease in there.

DaddyJohn

Those are good replacements for this kind of bearing too, but you'll want to add an internal spacer to keep from side-loading the bearing when you tighten the axle nut.

I sure appreciate y'all trying it help. Here's what I'm still not seeing anywhere...see how my original bearing had metal from race to hub...so the bearing is covered with metal, and it looked almost flush with the hub, like so:

Screenshot_20200427-135832_Gallery.jpg

That's the same look that I want with new bearings.

Any ideas ?

Thank you.

Thank you everyone for your help, and input.

@markus thank you for identifying the bearing type.

Here's a schatz bearing with the same look, that appears to be sealed...if I can source the correct size, wouldn't these work ?

Screenshot_20200428-054756_Chrome.jpg

https://www.zoro.com/schatz-bearing...6UnkwB3LegxcNY1CRQ-6l13sK2NMDQuxoCaT8QAvD_BwE

P.S. I know the price is crazy, and I'll seek less expensive, but it's the look I want, if the functionality / applicability is there.

Thank you.

Last edited:

cfh

The listing above looks like low speed bearings. like for the fork/head type thing. i would not put those on a wheel or jackshaft if that's the case. The ones that Skipp posted above are high speed bearings.

delray

rob , when I was restoring my Bonanza wheels(keeping the bike as a survival) I was able to take a dental pick and pop the original plates off and clean out the old waxy grease and repack with new high speed wheel bearing grease. maybe something you can try too. also nice just to pop new ones in and go...

@delray Brian, thank you.

I was planning on following your bearing thread suggestion with new ones anyway.

And then I wondered about the possibility of 'reconditioning' the old ones, like you are suggesting, but was uncertain whether that was 'ok'.

I suppose if the ball bearings appear round and in good condition, that there'd be no harm in trying.

Wondering also though if my old bearings are slow speed conveyor bearings like @cfh was referring to, and better to avoid ?

Anyway, I may try reconditioning one to see how it goes.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited:

delray

@delray Brian, thank you.

I was planning on following your bearing thread suggestion with new ones anyway.

And then I wondered about the possibility of 'reconditioning' the old ones, like you are suggesting, but was uncertain whether that was 'ok'.

I suppose if the ball bearings appear round and in good condition, that there'd be no harm in trying.

Wondering also though if my old bearings are slow speed conveyor bearings like @cfh was referring to, and better to avoid ?

Anyway, I may try reconditioning one to see how it goes.

Thanks for everyone's help.
That will have to be a judgement call on you. I was lucky with my bearings. They where more gum up from sitting for years. If they feel dry and grinding,rusty......then by..by old bearings and in with the new.

The metal you are seeing is used the same as the plastic on the new ones, a protective seal. Very much not necessary. The bearings in the pic above are probably wheelbarrow bearings, they will last a few miles or so, then quickly fail. The ones listed up in the beginning of the thread are better. I
have had much better luck with the snap ring ones than the flanged ones, seems to be far better quality control.