what are you listening to v.2.0

race

Sunday play list -

Feeling some 80s art school today ...

Eurythmics / Julia - (from their sadly little heard score to the 1984 film "1984") Layers of lush, processed vocals over crisply ticking sequencers. Love the edits after the 4:00 mark as though the protagonist Winston is struggling to hang onto fleeting wisps of memory. And a very cool photo montage by whoever posted this version. What a wild ride they must have had!

Eurythmics / Ministry of Love - Another track from their neglected 1984 score. Swirling synth percussion dotted with bright pulsating melodic lines and a funk bass line, then add chanting and Lennox's layered tribal shrieking on top.

Siouxsie and the Banshees / Dazzle - Punk meets Vaughan-Williams? Features Robert Smith from The Cure sitting in on guitar with drummer Budgie pushing the whole assembly hard while Siouxsie sings of "Skating bullets on angel dust, In the dead sea, of fluid mercury". Gotta love it.

Brand X / Collapsar - A tiny, little gem from Phil Collins hobby jam band Brand X to close things out. Classic Robin Lumley mini-moog.

Wow! She pretty much melted the rosin right off the strings on her Maggot Brain cover.
She killed it! I think Eddie would have approved. I posted the original 1971 Funkadelic studio recording earlier in this thread but it's so far back that I'll post it again. I'll never understand why George Clinton felt a need to add his (spoken) vocal BS to Eddie's masterpiece...

Eddie Hazel / Funkadelic - Maggot Brain - 1971

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Hazel

Eddie Hazel - Lampoc Boogie

You will need relatively powerful speakers (or headphones) to appreciate this, it plays at low volume for whatever reason. I had volume at around 70% on my speaker system that I rarely crank to 50%. I went from this to the middle of Maggot Brain (which is very loud at 50%) without adjusting the volume and damn-near blew out my eardrums! :oops: