What chain lube do you guys use?

SAS289

I was just out cleaning and lubing my chain and wondered what others use for lube.

The last time I lubed it I used the end of a 15 year old can of Honda chain lube. Today I started on what's left of an old can of Maxim chain wax. These were from the days of doing it to the 520 dirt bike chain.

There's a guy on you tube from Arizona that uses grease on his chain. I thought that was odd but if it works for him, then great.

SAS289

Assuming we're talking about machines with centrifugal clutches, here is an interesting article that talks about oil on chains, clutch effect, and using paraffin that I found interesting a few years ago.

Max-Torque Clutches
Thanks everyone. Great article. I like the idea that the chain is completely submerged in the hot oil. And can be saved and used again. Interesting.

Thanks everyone. Great article. I like the idea that the chain is completely submerged in the hot oil. And can be saved and used again. Interesting.
I'd like to try that sometime. When I used the fancy chain lube in the can on quads and dirt bikes, I found it a chore to clean the old lube from the chain. While it does an excellent job of staying "on" the chain, it also does an excellent job of retaining the grit which serves to wear down the bearing surfaces.

Thus far on my minis and karts I use plain old 30wt. oil that I keep in my oil can with the spout on it.

I get the impression some of the comments here are motorcycle related. Teflon is good stuff. I bet a drop of it on a centrifugal clutch does wonders for clutch engagement RPM. :thumbsup: Probably triples it without even having to change the springs.

Which reminds me, I need to get some to spray down my garage door springs.

SAS289

And a lot of it is what you are riding in.. Initially my chain was doing fine with just yard and street riding. But the last time out I took it into the woods to ride a small section of trail. I accidentally hit a very wet area. Had to power through hard and had excessive wheel spin. Made quite a mess out of both me and the bike with the chain and rear sprocket getting a lot of mud splash.

I shouldn't worry too much though. It's not like it's an expensive chain. It's still the stock chain that came with the Coleman.

Harquebus

The old standby in the motorcycle world is purported to be simple 80/90 weight gear oil. Thick enough that it won't fling off and if the chain is soaked in it prior to use and allowed to drip "dry" more or less, then that is ideal.

After that, I guess it's a suitable spray on lube or the old fashioned oil can filled with the same gear oil or straight 30 weight.