What Did I Just Buy?

Picked this up today. Owner says he's had it since 1985 and it was gold when he bought it used. The engine numbers are Model 60102 Type 1300-01 and Code 87052003. If this is a 2003 engine it must be a replacement? Any idea where I can get a kickstand and chain cover? Thanks in advance for The Boards wisdom. DSCN0151.JPG DSCN0153.JPG

Found the serial number tag on this. Bonanza with 06 0899 on it. Any idea of a vintage? Does the engine look original?...And I got it running, and running well! Drained and cleaned gas tank, changed oil (which looked like molasses), air filter and spark plug. Shot of starting fluid and 2 pulls. Ran about 2 miles and started and stopped it several times. I think I have a keeper.

The engine is definitely NOT original (See my first reply above). At only 2 HP you have not got much power there. Get yourself a nice Briggs 5 HP and it will be LOT more fun to ride.
Michael

markus

Look on the tires, on the stamped side of the tire you will usually find C with a two or three digit number stamped a little differently directly after it, sometimes followed by another number or letter. Those two or three digits will be the date code of the tires. first one or two digits are the month 1-12, 2nd digit is the year 0-9. Does not always work out, but those were the factory tires for that model bike so theres a pretty good chance they are OG to the bike. good idea to look at both and take the latest code of course to know that it was built a little after that.

Those bikes tend to float around the 1970 time frame, which was a busy time for mini bikes so thinkg like tires and engines with date codes weren't sitting around too terrible long waiting to be put on bikes.

Nice bike BTW that was a great buy :thumbsup: I called on it but was a little late to the party. I guess you were going to look at it that afternoon, not to mention the out of staters were calling in making bigger offers over the asking price :doah:

Markus thanks for the reply. I talked to him on Thursday and he said someone was coming Friday to look at it. I called him about 8 on Friday, he said he hadn't heard from the other party, so took a run up there from Lakeland, about 100 miles each way...The date code on the tire is C2 01. So February of 1971?... I'm developing a list of questions and will start another thread once I get them all together. I know I need a kickstand, chain cover and brake and throttle cables. The cables "work" but are messed up on the ends. I'm having fun with this, I like working on old mechanical stuff, but don't want to put more $ into it than it's worth.

...I know I need a kickstand, chain cover and brake and throttle cables. The cables "work" but are messed up on the ends. I'm having fun with this, I like working on old mechanical stuff, but don't want to put more $ into it than it's worth.
OldMiniBikes Warehouse has lots of those types of items. Prices are great and shipping is fast. I've brought a Lil'I Indian and a Fimco mini back to life w/their help over the last 90 days. I was so pleased with them. :thumbsup:

markus

Markus thanks for the reply. I talked to him on Thursday and he said someone was coming Friday to look at it. I called him about 8 on Friday, he said he hadn't heard from the other party, so took a run up there from Lakeland, about 100 miles each way...The date code on the tire is C2 01. So February of 1971?... I'm developing a list of questions and will start another thread once I get them all together. I know I need a kickstand, chain cover and brake and throttle cables. The cables "work" but are messed up on the ends. I'm having fun with this, I like working on old mechanical stuff, but don't want to put more $ into it than it's worth.
February 1970 on the date code

Stay far away from mini bikes then:001_tt2:
X2 ^^^^^
It will not take you long to do that. If you are really concerned about doing that you are in the wrong hobby my friend.
Want to end up with a MILLION dollars buying, fixing up and selling minibikes?....
...start with TWO MILLION!!!:eek:
Michael