what engine and converter for Tote Gote?

I picked up this Tote Gote (or similar) this last week without an engine or converter and am wondering what would be the best setup to get this thing up and going? I don't mind fabricating to make things work and originality isn't my highest priority at this time. Here are a couple of pics in case it helps figure out what might be most appropriate.

Thanks for the info guys.

Welcome Flatheadpopup : Well I don't think it is a Tote Gote but it shares a lot of like features. With the double jack shaft your gearing will be low like a gote , But the slide adjustable v belt pully in the picture I don't think the system used a Torque Converter it may of only had a centrifugal clutch. Better close up pictures of the two jack shafts and the type of brake would help. Looks like a well built machine.
Steve

Thanks for the info Steve. I won't be able to get it out into the sunlight till tomorrow to take closeups but here is another shot I took earlier. I posted in the what is it section but still haven't figured it out for sure. I did, however find one that looks just like it on the net (which I linked to) that has a sticker on the back calling it a "Sportsman 600" for what thats worth.

Better pics in the morning! Thanks all.
Tony

The tote-goat (or similar) project looks like fun. I like the black B&S motor in the photos, especially the fan shroud w/embossed B&S logo. I really want one of those. Just missed on on e-bay a couple months ago for ten bucks. Dang.

Wow, that old Tote Gote engine looks pristine. Thanks for the pics. As far as the Tote Gote Land website I looked at the frame id section but mine doesn't match anything so I am pretty sure it isn't an actual Tote Gote. Here is a link to an identical one I found on the internet...it will be the first in the line of pics.

Pictures by Tule-trooper-tote-gotes - Photobucket

Mine even has a worn/unreadable sticker on the back that mimics the one that says "Sportsman 600" on his. Mine also has side screens that I removed to get a better look at things. I don't however have any bracing that would go alongside the engine but that looks to be removeable on the one pictured.

Here are the close up pics of the jackshaft arrangement as requested by Steve.

After cleaning it up a little and squinting just right I was able to make out "Sportsman 300" on the tag...so its not quite the same as the other one I found on the net but definitely the same manufacturer...just wish I new whom that might be?? Thanks again for all the help.

O.K. after looking at things more closely I got to wondering just what does that large pully in the middle of the front jackshaft do? I noticed that it is not actually attached to the shaft but just riding on it and has a large bolt/set screw...could this be to change gearing somehow? It does slide over and butt up with the keyed pulley that the belt is running to. Also, the rear brake appears to be a band on the next pulley over. Sorry if I'm being a post whore but this is kind of exciting to try and figure out. Thanks

george3

If the ebay engine was 10.00 it was a pos. This engine has no rust anywere, just the flywheel. rebuilt carb. new coil, (hard to find) new points, and cond. the parts are over 100.00. So dont tell me about a 10.00 pos. Plus the oem clutch.

This is only a guess, but I think it may be a Sherpa. I think they were made in SLC by Bert and Sam Bonham. Bert was Ralph Bonhams brother. Ralph invented the tote gote. Sam was Berts son.

What's this for ?

After cleaning it up a little and squinting just right I was able to make out "Sportsman 300" on the tag...so its not quite the same as the other one I found on the net but definitely the same manufacturer...just wish I new whom that might be?? Thanks again for all the help.
Flatheadpopup: The extra pulley on the jack shaft is often a brake drum, they use a short piece of rubber V-Belt and anchor one end to the frame and attach the other end to a cable that goes to the handle bar mounted lever and because of being on the midle jack shaft it works on a low geared machine and with the speed sensitive clutch system the engine compression when off throttle aids in the rapid slowdown of the heavy machine.
Hope this helps. Steve:scooter:

Originally Posted by flatheadpopup

Flatheadpopup: The extra pulley on the jack shaft is often a brake drum, they use a short piece of rubber V-Belt and anchor one end to the frame and attach the other end to a cable that goes to the handle bar mounted lever and because of being on the midle jack shaft it works on a low geared machine and with the speed sensitive clutch system the engine compression when off throttle aids in the rapid slowdown of the heavy machine.
Hope this helps. Steve
Steve, the extra pulley I spoke of is actually the larger diameter one that is in the middle (it looks like something out of a swamp cooler). The one just to the left of it has a brake band on it. The large one is actually loose on the jackshaft but when pulled over to the right is sits the same keyway as the pulley that is driven by the engine and it has a set screw to hold it in place. Thanks for all the advise as I am totally new to this kind of machine. Any idea's on what clutch I should run on this thing?

Telling you to find a stock set up is just not that easy as we don't totally know what it is yet. But usually this type of bike has a torque converter drive that is speed sensitive but I don't know of any maker now. What does the first jack shaft look like I am wanting to see the driven half of the clutch or converter system. The pictures help a lot if the first one is just a fixed pulley than you could use a centrifugal clutch . it it is a variable pulley then that would require more looking into.
Steve :scooter:

The small pulley that the belt goes to on the jackshaft is one piece and solid mounted so I am guessing that it would be considered a fixed pulley...what would a variable pulley tend to look like?

If the ebay engine was 10.00 it was a pos. This engine has no rust anywere, just the flywheel. rebuilt carb. new coil, (hard to find) new points, and cond. the parts are over 100.00. So dont tell me about a 10.00 pos. Plus the oem clutch.
Not a whole engine, just the recoil cover.