What Gilson model, no rear gas tank.

I got a Gilson yesterday. It is very similar to my Wards 525 (which is why I got it). The 525 has a hole for the rear gas tank filler neck. This "new" Gilson doesn't.
Is there anyway to tell what model it is by the pictures? I can take more pics if needed.
There aren't any frame tags as it has been re-painted. It has a color change paint job on it. Under that is bright yellow but I don't know if that was the original color or not.
Any info will be appreciated.
Danford1

capguncowboy

Yes, a 4 series (4hp). It was lighted originally, as indicated by the holes in the fork plate. Is there a model number on a plate on the back of the forks?

My 424 didn't have lights and had the holes in the fork plate. The factory fullsize sticker was still on it when I got it. If you look close you can see the empty holes through the faded sticker.

I looked at the 424 picture. My kickstand is different. I have a u shaped bracket that holds it on. The 424 shown has a different set up but that could possibly be just a model year change...
What colors did Gilson and Allis Chalmers use? It would make sense they all had the same shade of yellow if they were all made in the same factory.
Also , were all 424's yellow?

Danford1

All Gilsons have the holes for a headlight- even the trail bikes. The location of the holes will be different. Sunshine was applied to the 976 and 977 models- both of which were 424 series. I doubt someone would shoot bright yellow if they were making a color change to black, blue or red. Just my opinion...

The factory kickstand over on the right between the bags of parts. If you want a good picture of it by itself ask. It's sitting on my desk right now.

When I started stripping down my frame the first layer was black and then a factory yellow directly on top of that.

Good eyes on my kickstand. I just went and looked at it. It does look like it was welded on and not factory.

Yes I noticed no rear shocks in that picture too. I think they came with the strut and the shocks were an option.

My rear shocks aren't factory either. I put them on it. The bike came with some too short spring things that didn't budge. They weren't factory either plus they were froze up. I had some shocks I took of an MTD Trail flight, so I used them.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

Danford1

Last edited:
There are a half of dozen options on these and they came in all variables. As far as I know the 424 didn't roll out of the factory with rear shocks but it was an accessory you could order and install. The infamous rear rack was another one. The shocks are pretty common that rack as far as I know only one factory made example has popped up.

My 424 didn't come with shocks but I added them.

Good eyes on my kickstand. I just went and looked at it. It does look like it was welded on and not factory.

Yes I noticed no rear shocks in that picture too. I think they came with the strut and the shocks were an option.

Danford1

Not so fast on the kickstand. My 525 (the Wilderness) has a welded-on kickstand. It's a 70 model (I have the OG tag). It is similar to the bolt-on kickstands. There may have been a run with a welded-on kickstand.

I've had three trail bike frames now and all were bolt-ons. All frames have the bolt hole for the Cecor... I assuming it's less labor to bore and install a bolt-on...