What have I found here? Tecumseh h60 questions

Stumbled upon this engine on Craigslist for just a few bucks and thought it would be pretty cool to put into my bonanza bc1000. Trouble is I don't know much about it, and don't want to try starting it without getting some recommendations from you guys on proper reconditioning so as to not ruin anything. Looks like it has an electric starter on it and a small fuse box area to connect lights/battery to. An info you guys have on proper oil weight, amount, etc would be awesome.

The owner said it had been sitting in storage and probably never been run. Still has some tags on it, fuel tank is clean and rust free, I did drain the float bowl of some nasty red varnished gasoline so who knows.

Attachments

oldfatguy

Stumbled upon this engine on Craigslist for just a few bucks and thought it would be pretty cool to put into my bonanza bc1000. Trouble is I don't know much about it, and don't want to try starting it without getting some recommendations from you guys on proper reconditioning so as to not ruin anything. Looks like it has an electric starter on it and a small fuse box area to connect lights/battery to. An info you guys have on proper oil weight, amount, etc would be awesome.

The owner said it had been sitting in storage and probably never been run. Still has some tags on it, fuel tank is clean and rust free, I did drain the float bowl of some nasty red varnished gasoline so who knows.
that's a big block Tecumseh, probably an h60 or h70. It has a ball bearing side cover and looks like a lighting coil too. That will make a nice engine for your bonanza but they are built more for power than high rpm. Nice score.

That's a rather large (both HP and physical) engine for that bike... I'm actually looking for a 6HP Tec. I may be close to you if you should decide to sell.

I believe that you will have clearance issues with that engine hitting the top of the frame. At the very least you would need to remove the stock fuel tank and mount a remote tank somewhere.
Michael

125ccCrazy

Beautiful engine...nice score for sure... The eng will fit the bonanza with a smaller plastic tank with corner fill or a rear mounted round tank.. Be sure to post some pics of your project..

Before starting the engine I'd pour some oil in the sparkplug hole, pull it over a few times and let it sit over night... thoroughly clean the carb out, put fresh oil in the engine and you should be good to go..

Last edited:
Are there any issues to starting it without the electrical system all hooked up? Don't want to fry anything. Any recommendations on oil type/weight/amount ?

Are there any issues to starting it without the electrical system all hooked up? Don't want to fry anything. Any recommendations on oil type/weight/amount ?
Start here with this link to the flathead manual: http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/...nformation.pdf
Should have everything you need to know about the engine--specs, fluids and electrical. Good advice about a little oil in the cylinder. You'll most likely need a good carb cleaning and the manual shows how to dis/re-assemble.

No issues running it without a load on the charging coil. Oil is SAE 30, to the full mark on the dipstick. If you get too much in, drain some back out. I think t holds 19 ounces total but go by the dipstick when changing.

Still have this motor a year later. Im thinking its a bit too big for my intended use on a bc500. Any idea what an engine like this might be worth? Ive tried to look it up but am coming up blank on the H60 searches. Im thinking a nice 5hp small block might be just the ticket for my bike.

Thanks