What is a, mini bike?

I was suprised to see how big this Super Bronc VT10 is. A 10HP engine, 22"X11"X8" tires on 8" solid rims. It's bigger than my BigCat.

And a whole lot bigger than my Bearkat Twister. The Twister was concidered a TrailScooter. In the 1960's rules by the National Trail Scooter Association. But then my little Pack Cycle was also concidered a trail scooter back then.

When I posted about my Sidekick. People called it , "a monster"! But it's smaller than my Boonie bike.

I have been reading several OldMiniBikes threads what opinions are.

Racing rules in the 1960's was defined by wheels. Solid wheel vs. spoke wheel. And horse power of cource. But things have changed! My biggest bike, my most heavy bike is called a mini bike by most of OldMiniBikes members.

You can't concider HP as the definition of a "Mini Bike". The drag bikes blow that.

Wheel size? What about a Heathkit. It has a 8" ATV/Golfcart/Garden equipment wheel on the rear!

It's a interesting question?

Bullhead

Last edited:
Good question.

Most of the difference I see now is whether or not it can be licensed. But then again, there are "mini" bikes, like yours, that are bigger than some of the small motorcycles that have license plates.

well back in the day before i knew my super bronc was called a super bronc we called it "The Big Bike" :laugh: because its hardly mini thats for sure. not easy for a 5-12 year old to handle a fat tire bike

Well I was hoping for more responce.

On CraigsList when you put mini bike in the search. BMX bicycles come up.

But, just with the few. You can tell the subject is interesting. There is no real definition of what is a ,"Mini Bike"!

I have allways went with the idea of solid wheels and a pullstart, but wait I still call my ct and z hondas minibikes lol
I guess we may have to start calling them funbikes instead lol

toomanytoys

I call them all minibikes.

If it has a lawn mower engine on a bike frame, its a minibike. There are execptions take the Hodaka powered bonanzas. They are minibikes.

I don't consider honda 50s and such minibikes.

Mean Dean

Well this is a good thread. I will get the Perfect definition of what is a mini bike? And I will post it later. LIl Indian creators was the first to create and promote the term "Mini Bike" ray Michrina said to me years ago they wish they had of patented the words.

Arnt there many mini bikes with spoked wheels? Most of them still sit pretty low, we cant define it by the engine size or the wheel size maybe it should be by the frame size? Like wheel base or overall height when assembled witht he seat? i know in VA if you get stopped by a cop your "mini bikes" seat must be atleast 2 foot of the groud or its a fine.

I think of a mini bike as:
one speed
no suspension
one brake
lawn mower type engine
That trapezoid shape frame
Very small wheels and small frame
pull start
for fun and recreation

motocycle

I think of a mini bike as:
one speed
no suspension
one brake
lawn mower type engine
That trapezoid shape frame
Very small wheels and small frame
pull start
for fun and recreation
gumpit, added: What about 2 speed jackshafts?

Let me add to gumpit's response. He took the one speed quote.

2. no suspension: A lot of mini's even some of the smallest ones have some suspension, even if it only a set of shocks

3. one brake: again even some of the smallest had optional front brake

4. lawn mower type engine: there were some pretty big lawnmower engines , in the era of mini bikes, as to type, do you mean Horizontal crankshaft?

5. trapezoid type frame: so you are ruling out the Honda mini's

6. small wheels and small frame: I don't know how small?

7. pull start: I guess that rules out the Tecumseh kick starts

8. for fun or recreation: I thought they all were for fun and recreation

Seriously, I'm not picking on you, I see your point; but where do you draw the line. If a line is drawn, surely there will be members here beyond that line. Somebody will feel hurt by not being included.

Many of us enjoy seeing all the different varieties that were offered by so many different manufacturers. Yes, some were bigger that others, but a lot of manufacturers had small ones in their lineup also.

I like them all.

Don't make the defination too loose, then we might have to include the china pocket bikes and the silly two rear wheel, leaf blower engined, Harley bikes.:doah::doah:

motocycle

Don't make the defination too loose, then we might have to include the china pocket bikes and the silly two rear wheel, leaf blower engined, Harley bikes.:doah::doah:
Yes, I know

I sort of think: If it is Vintage it is OK.

This is the OLDMINIBIKE forum.

Neck

Growing up is optional
I don't think this question will ever have a solid answer. But the first minibikes available were suspension less, five inch wheels, lawnmower style engine of either the 2 or 4 stroke variety with centrifugal clutches, and mostly had scrub brakes. Then they evolved from there. I think a better question would be, what's not a Minibike? That would be a Mini cycle.

oldfatguy

I still call my 10" spoke wheel bikes mini bikes. Back in the 70s any bike that used a Briggs or Tecumseh engine was considered a mini bike. The spoke wheel "mini cycles" were thought of as just another type of mini bike. In fact, in the early 70s when they first came out they were considered the best or top of the line mini bikes.

Oldsalt

An 'old school' minibike has a tube frame, lawnmower style engine, small diameter wheels, a centrifugal clutch, a simple brake on the rear, gas tank on engine, and no suspension [and rarely with a jackshaft although these were largely limited to bikes with 2 stroke engines].

Not saying that many later minis, with a swing arm, are not a minis or even one that has a front drum brake [IF the tire diameter is small] is not an mini. They are simply not old-oldminibikes; but minibikes none the less. However, some sure push the envelope; especially the ones that were designed to look like and compete with motorcycles in the marketplace.

Sure, there are exceptions to EVERYTHING. But there are NO exceptions to the description of an EARLY minibike as in the first paragraph.

Last edited: