What kind of trike is this??????

I just picked this baby up a few hours ago. This thing is really solid. I have looked through the trikes on minidoodle- no luck. It has an adjustable seat, 8inch wheels Right hand brake set-up (weird). Anyways, take a stab at it guys.

The front says Montgomery Wards Terrain Cycle TY555

8inch Wheels

Check out the Brake set-up

It is a T555 from Wards, You can tell by the way they bolt together. And your still has the sticker:doah: It would have had r&l brakes, that's how you steer them. The rear Axel has a diff, for that purposes. There's a few around. Some one here has a real nice one but I forget who.

Montgomery ward T555

I just picked this baby up a few hours ago. This thing is really solid. I have looked through the trikes on minidoodle- no luck. It has an adjustable seat, 8inch wheels Right hand brake set-up (weird). Anyways, take a stab at it guys.

The front says Montgomery Wards Terrain Cycle TY555

8inch Wheels

Check out the Brake set-up
Take a look in the web site 3 WHeeLeR WoRLD-Kickin' It into High Gear and the story of the Trike is there. I have pictures of what is thought to be a trike made by the same company in Omaha, Nebraska Take a look in my photo section you will see the rolling frame there. Steve :scooter:

In the pictures I see the differential has been flipped to run a straight chain off a engine using a centrifugal clutch . But the trike has the chain guard on the opposite side and to do this the use of a jack shaft and a torque converter was what the trike came with.
I also don't think the rear wheels were what came from the factory. This is the first of these that I have ever seen with a fiberglass body but the TY555 may be just a different model than the T555
Steve :scooter:

Steve - after reading a little on three wheel supposedly they were holding off on making the fiberglass body because of the expense, weight, etc.They were going to incorporate it at a later date. Mabey thats why the model I have is a TY. Will the 6.5 clone be enough to move it running the straight chain setup?

About running the trike with just a clutch I* am sure the 6.5 will do OK on most ground but you just can't beat the use of a Torque converter to give you some hill climbing ability along with the speed.
The one I am building I am going with a 6.5 HP Tecumseh engine with electric start and a dual alternator and by using a Kart seat that will restrict the size and weight of the rider it will be a hot little ride. And with dual disc Martin 2 piston go Kart brakes it will stop.
I am happy to see more information about this trike. All I know is the the builder Tri-State Tool & Die in Omaha, Nebraska were into quality building. Hope to some day unravel this information.
Steve :scooter:

I have the trike dissasembled with the exception on the fiberglass body. Does anyone have a clue how it comes off. It looks impossible without the help of a dremel.

Also any wheel/tire recommendations
As of now the tires are 4.00-10 and the bolt pattern is 4 lug
4-1/4 if I measured it correctly.(does that sound right)

Last edited: