What mini bike is this?

Hey everyone,
I’m knew to this mini bike stuff and cannot for the life of me or my dad, figure what model of mini bike this is? We only managed to find one picture online that was the same. It doesn’t have disc brakes but came with a chrome cutoff switch. Already rigged the motor to work and am working on a seat mount. It came with an 5hp Briggs but it didn’t work so I rebuilt it. In this process I got it running though and burnt my hand on the muffler so I feel like I at least deserve to know what mini bike burnt me. 1 week from the burn though and still no answers. Any help is appreciated related to these photos, thanks!

Attachments

Hey @MattzW ...welcome to the Oldminibikes.com forum !

At first I thought perhaps a Bird mfg frame, but the forward handlebars, and the foot pegs make me think not.

One of the experts will help identify your bike.

Congratulations on the rebuild !

pomfish

It's the seldom seen Scorcher made in small batches in BURNingham, England

Sorry couldn't resist :)
Nice bike!
Kinda weird how the seat mounts are placed so far forward.

Maybe if we can see the other pic online that you found that also may give some clues.
And Welcome to OldMiniBikes !!!
Thanks,

Keith

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for the help in discovering the model! Really appreciate it but I would also just like to know what the most common mod/mods are for something like this?

Harquebus

nelson manufacturing Invader mini bike.
Fantastic. Never heard of Nelson before but judging from the engines on the brochure, those are late 1980s (1988 at the earliest, I think) to early 1990s Briggs and Stratton engines because of the logo style and the squarish blower cover. The OP's engine might even be original to the bike.

As to upgrades and mods---
I wouldn't do much to it except add a seat. The original scrub brake is fine but an actual brake with brake material would be nicer, like a typical mini bike brake drum or the strap style that fits on the clutch like Lizard King said.

Not a fan of the stock muffler, that's one of the biggest I have seen {it's so big there's no wonder you got burned}.
I'd suggest a Briggs 294599 "hotdog muffler" and if there is room between the frame members in the rear, a longer threaded extension or even a long Briggs tuned header pipe. When you remove the stock muffler you will see a threaded exhaust port that accepts the hotdog muffler (3/4" NPT thread) directly. It's a little louder but flows better that those box mufflers.

Threaded extension with male/female threaded ends that fits Briggs 294599:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283967233183?hash=item421dc41c9f:g:eawAAOSwz8teeT9a

Bird Brain

Don't think it would be a Bird. Most of all there frames have neck tube reinforcement from the ones ive seen. The weld on the top fork plate makes me want to say might be a garage built kit? No worries its sturdy enough, just looks like a one off process and not a high volume product. Cool frame though. Just glad to see somebody can appreciate designs of yester year.