What model Dunecycle is this?

I picked it up today. Has a 2 stroke 290cc motor. and seems to have a heavier duty frame with leaf type spring and shocks and rear end set up that is encased which is different than the one pictured on OLDTRIKES.COM .It also has a really cool gas tank and a disk brake. No differential either.I have to replace some bearings in the rear sprocket area and put a new chain on.(you can see the old one came off in the box). And see if I can get the 2 stroke motor to run. It does still spin. I have more pics of it in my photos. Any idea what year this one was. It also has a California off road sticker. The person I got it from said it was used in racing in the desert.

Well that should be the elusive " Spider " When they run they were HOT N NASTY > The were the only machine that had a chance of bearing the Tri-Sport RTS machines they were good at short track where their lightweight profile make them often winners. but for the open desert they were little light. from the looks of the extra sprockets and 2 jack shafts they were able to use a single disc on the second jack shaft. that is real hard on chain I eventually went to double row #40 chain when I went to live axle. But I had a 440 CC machine. Great find and you will have some fun with that.
Steve :scooter:

I picked it up today. Has a 2 stroke 290cc motor. and seems to have a heavier duty frame with leaf type spring and shocks and rear end set up that is encased which is different than the one pictured on OLDTRIKES.COM .It also has a really cool gas tank and a disk brake. No differential either.I have to replace some bearings in the rear sprocket area and put a new chain on.(you can see the old one came off in the box). And see if I can get the 2 stroke motor to run. It does still spin. I have more pics of it in my photos. Any idea what year this one was. It also has a California off road sticker. The person I got it from said it was used in racing in the desert.
I didn't know the model till Steve posted, but I'd sure like to have it under my tree.:xmas-smiley-016:
A trike is my next build for sure!

Are you sure it is a Spider?

It looks more like the Springer than the picture he has of the Spider. This has shocks and the Spider on Old Trikes .com doesn't. And this has the different leaf type springs and the encased rear sprocket area. Is there any manuals or any literature on these? Did anyone in the forum ever sell these?

I have never found very much information about the Dunecycles on the net only have a wright up about the little 5 HP machines. What you have is probably a Springer and I think that possibly the spider was for the McCullough powered machine that only had the front suspension. I bought off e-bay what I thought was a parts list for all the machines but it had no pictures just parts numbers and 1972 prices.
I was not a happy camper about that deal. A guy in Florida had some machines as his Dad was a dealer. I lost all that information when my computer crashed. I gave it to the guy in Illinois who bought my three Tri- Sports. I am almost sure that your 290 CC equiped machine was the biggest machine that they sold, not sure if they ever went to the 340CC motor. Steve :scooter:

So it is probably a Springer but a different year than the one on oldtrikes.com. Now the search is on for more info. I am going to pick up some plugs for it and try to free up the pullstart to see if it has spark.The the carb rebuild if it does then try to fire it up.... Where can I get the shocks for the front as they are seized.The rear look like typical car shocks. But the front look more like minibike shocks... Thanks Randy

Randy: the front shocks are probably Bogie brand but there are a lot of others out there.
It's hard for me to believe that Dunecycle used that type of shock on a trike. All Tri-Sports used the Showa open spring adjustable shocks. They usually sell for about $75.00 a pair on e-bay. The swapmeetman probably has them. But I am on his bad side now and he wont let me bid on his auctions. Steve :scooter:

unecycle used that

Randy: The price is right for sure. That style of front end has less leverage than the Alsport RTS so the springs look heavy enough for the front end but questionable for the rear.
I would get a pair for the front if the length is the same.

Its a Dunecycle Springer
The spider had no rear suspension! I us to have a spider W/Rockwell 340cc Super fast here is some info. Dune Cycle Three Wheelers
Did yours have the same setup as the one in their pics or the same as mine with the leaf type spring?
Was the rear end exposed or boxed up like my pics?
Did yours have the gas tank on the front like mine?
The guy I got mine from said mine was the race version with the covered box so the sand wouldnt get in the rear jackshaft area and chains. If yours was like mine what year was it? Thanks Randy

mybiz

Mine had no suspension on the rear. I'm thinking mine was made in 1970. And it was like the Flat Tracker model and it seems like it had a disc brake on the rear. also it was solid rear axle. The only way you could turn it around at low speeds was to crack the throttle wide open and spin it around. Don't know what spring the had in the TC but it wouldn't take off until about 3/4 throttle. And then about snap your neck off. Mine was built for speed you couldn't just go out a play around with it. Theres not a lot of info on the web on DuneCycles He is one site. Dune Cycle Three Wheelers

Mine had no suspension on the rear. I'm thinking mine was made in 1970. And it was like the Flat Tracker model and it seems like it had a disc brake on the rear. also it was solid rear axle. The only way you could turn it around at low speeds was to crack the throttle wide open and spin it around. Don't know what spring the had in the TC but it wouldn't take off until about 3/4 throttle. And then about snap your neck off. Mine was built for speed you couldn't just go out a play around with it. Theres not a lot of info on the web on DuneCycles He is one site. Dune Cycle Three Wheelers
I had a Flat Tracker but the rear had a differential.

Demon Rust

I do have the caliper.And the master cylinder is Kelsey Hayes
I would never give that caliper a second look it is toast. Not worth the chance. I would set up a Martin two piston caliper to float or a Wilwood brand. You should be able to save the Master because it's composite.

Your elusive dreams

If you bought your Dunecycle secondhand I will just about state with 100% accuracy that the live axle set up was not factory. You could never sell people on having no differential. I did a lot of things to my Race trike to make it able to withstand the abuse that we dished out when the adrenalin kicked into high gear. One of my Tri-Sports came to me with a Kohler 340 CC engine out of a John Deere Snow Mobile and it had been ported and had dual carbs. The Torque Converter was set up for launching a heavy sled. Ant it hit hard about 4,000 rpm and was a neck snapper. Steve

mybiz

I did buy it secondhand. And it was setup for flat track racing. They did a very good job on it because it looked like it came from the factory. Or did someone sale kits ? I do remember it had a cable and not a pull rope. I never could start it by hand it had a extra pulley on the motor and I always started it with a 120V electric motor. Its one toy I wish I still had:sadcrying4:

One of the Alsport factory race trikes was equipped with a Kohler free air 3 cylinder motor and huge expansion chambers and 3 flat slide carbs. Well they were at their test track with a professional driver getting ready to demonstrate this full blown RTS series machine to all the factory executives it was being built to race against the Dunecycles like yours.
Well they fired the machine up and the rider revved it up and nothing happened no clutch engagement and of course that brought out the shop mechanics and they couldn't fine any thing wrong , so they tried it again and when the top RPM hit the converter the trike did a back flip and just about killed that test driver and the executives gave that project the heave ho on the spot. How ever the motor got sold to a guy in Los Angeles and he put it on a Alsport. But never could get it working on the little speedway style track we used called Trogen Speedway. I built an absolute bare bones live axle trike with a McCulloch 101D engine with dual Alky carbs and a Horstman slipper wet clutch. The driver was Wayne Coppers and he was about 155 pounds soaking wet. That little trike regularly beat all comers even the big triple. That trike didn't even have a pad in the seat and was only 6 inches off the ground more like a 3 wheeled go kart. Those were the fun days of racing 2 and 3 nights a week all over Southern California places like Indian Dunes, Corona Raceway, Perris Raceway and of course Trogen. Big question how did so much fun not get captures on film not even a simple snap shot. Steve :scooter: