What model Dunecycle is this?

He said he had some seat cushions and stickers made up.And was going to be putting them online. He was also looking into re-introducing the Dunecycle in kit form. say they were seldom raced This should be an interesting project for sure.... Randy
Kit form would be cool. I would buy one in a heart beat. Put whatever power plant you want on it and go!!!!!! HMMMMMMM, I will start saving some dough just in case this guy is seriuous..... Thanks Gumpit, you might just have made my day. Tell that guy people are interested in buying kits if you talk to him again.......

This was the same guy I had e bay contact with 4 or 5 years ago. Same story no performance. It takes a lot of bucks to make or remake products today with paid labor cost as they are. ScooterBoy can tell you all about that. I of course hope you are successful at getting more information about all the Dunecycle machines.
Steve :scooter:

I had one of these exact rear suspensions about 18 years ago, I bought out all of the old inventory of a snowmobile salvage yard in Alpena, Michigan. I had no idea what it came out of, but it was painted what looked like John Deere green, and was definitely factory paint. The frame ended where the front of the leaf spring crossmember connects. I had no idea what it was from, and stupid me, I scrapped it. It was complete with manual disc brake caliper, internals on the gear reduction box had been full of water, and things were pretty crusty inside.

The rear gear box on mine was full of water too...The chains and a couple of bearings need to be replaced but I think it will clean up. I think the problem I am going to have is fixing the motor I have or finding another one and having a suitable exhaust.From what I am hearing the exhaust has to be tuned and I do not know of anyone around here who can make me one to look stock... Mine is toast..

The exhaust does not "have" to be tuned, but a tuned expansion chamber will help open the motor up. If you are using a 340 twin cylinder, you won't need the extra power, it will be scary enough without extras.

Hello.
Kind of an older thread but was browsing the net and came across that pic of the DuneCycle.
I grew up in So Cal a few miles away from A.P.E. where my uncle worked for them.
He hooked my brother up and next thing I knew, the called me over to their apartment to help them "get something out".

They bought 2 kits and assembled them in the living room and got a great employee discount and assembled themselves to save cost.
We had to take them out of the patio and lift them over a fence in the parking lot.
They had the top of the line models complete with roll bars, full suspension, Kohler twin with dual expansion chambers.

We took them out to Anza and they were scary fast. So fast, I actually flipped one and the roll bar was a good accessory to have.

The Kohler was a snowmobile engine with Tillotson carburation and expansion chamber.
Keeping it dialed with Tillotson was always a struggle but when it was running right, it was a killer.
I will see if I can get pics or any other info next time I talk to my brother.

mybiz

Pic's

Hello.
Kind of an older thread but was browsing the net and came across that pic of the DuneCycle.
I grew up in So Cal a few miles away from A.P.E. where my uncle worked for them.
He hooked my brother up and next thing I knew, the called me over to their apartment to help them "get something out".

They bought 2 kits and assembled them in the living room and got a great employee discount and assembled themselves to save cost.
We had to take them out of the patio and lift them over a fence in the parking lot.
They had the top of the line models complete with roll bars, full suspension, Kohler twin with dual expansion chambers.

We took them out to Anza and they were scary fast. So fast, I actually flipped one and the roll bar was a good accessory to have.

The Kohler was a snowmobile engine with Tillotson carburation and expansion chamber.
Keeping it dialed with Tillotson was always a struggle but when it was running right, it was a killer.
I will see if I can get pics or any other info next time I talk to my brother.
Welcome to OldMiniBikes.:thumbsup: Pic's would be great. Hope you can find them. My DuneCycle had a 340cc Rockwell and your right about them having some scary power. :blink:

Steve,
Scot here I am the guy in Florida with the Dunecycle stuff.
info@ironhorse.net if you need to get in touch. Been putting together some machines. I am restoring one like the guy above. They came with. 295 340 and very few with a 440. That was supposed to be the street legal model. But very very few of those were produced. And never made it to street form.

Scot,
Sorry I havent gotten back to you. With the winter I have been busy with the other trikes I have... I think this Dunecycle is worthy of being restored correctly and I do not think I will have the time to do it. It is definitely the coolest one I have but I hate to see myself ruin it,as they, or at least this one seems to be pretty rare. So I am willing to trade it or sell it to someone who can do right by it with a proper restore. I would have no idea how to ship it but could drop it off somewhere within a reasonable distace if you have someone who could handle getting it to you. Randy

I would be interested in it. It can be shipped on a pallet. I picked up 8hp full springer off ebay a few months ago. It was one I had when I was ten! My dad sold it. Cause I was not behaving. Pretty cool.Let me know what you might want for it. info@ironhorse.net

I would be interested in it. It can be shipped on a pallet. I picked up 8hp full springer off ebay a few months ago. It was one I had when I was ten! My dad sold it. Cause I was not behaving. Pretty cool.Let me know what you might want for it. info@ironhorse.net
Assuming I could strap it down to a pallet. Do they come and get it or do I have to drop it off somewhere? The seat, tank and engine are not attached. I would have to either mount them or get a big box to put them in and strap that to the pallet as well. The forks might have to com off as well to have it fit better on the pallet. Randy

Hi Randy : I have shipped one assembled Rupp Centaur trike in a big plywood box I built on a custom pallet that I made and shipped it from Portland, Oregon to upstate New York I took it to Forward Air and he picked the trike up in Buffalo, New York.
I sent my Tri-Sport the same way to Illinois in a big crate made of 2X2's and 1/2 inch plywood.
it was sent a snowmobile parts they charge more if they think it's a motorcycle.
Steve :scooter:

Sounds like the materials alone would be over $100 and then the time and effort of making the crate would be more than it would be worth. I got a trike from Michigan to Massachusetts for $200 from USHIP.COM . It showed up in the back of a regular van. Rolled right out. No pallet or anything. I hate shipping things...lol

I used home depot for the wood and screwed the box together the trikes wounld because of the fiberglass body did need good protection. The centaur went for $1500.00 with out a motor and the Tri-sport went for $2500.00 and they paid for the box material and I did the labor, but I am good at building crates that work even if the UPS Gorilla's are in charge. One crate had two Tri-Sport RTS frames 6 tires and wheels and 3 motors all in one big box it weighed 1200 lbs shipped it to Illinois Too. Steve

I only paid $250 for it so I don't think it is in the price range of doing all that work. I am willing to let it go fairly cheap if I dont have to go through all the trouble. The fiberglass on this thing is at least twice as thick as any Alsport I have seen. Could be covered easy enough with a blanket and never break.

This is the exact same model i had as a kid in alaska. you still got it? have you rebuilt the thing yet? i would love to have that thing! Deckman