What model Powell?

pomfish

Friend of mine picked this up.
Is it possibly a Phantom? Has that style brake maybe.
Pictures are not the best but it all he sent me.
Thanks!
Keith

Last edited:
I think that is a awesome find, and a great bike to restore. Do you have the numbers that are stamped in the upper frame bar ? Very well could be a Phantom ...:thumbsup: I'm also with Karen on the seat, fenders and paint color.

Last edited:

markus

Are the numbers on top of the bar or sides,bottom??
right on top (the sanded to bare metal area in the pic)

It is usually pretty faint, so be gentle when cleaning up the rail to find it. The fact that it does not have a front brake, or provisions built in to the wheel like the late/last built ones, Might make it around a J or L model :shrug: Cant remember offhand, but as you can see from my serial number, it shows the letter/s designation. Note on the engine that it has a possible medium frame carb and adapter cobbled onto it so It may have been a larger engine on it at one time.

Last edited:

pomfish

Here is an advertisement that shows the Phantom 7 without front brake.

Looks like the JL is the street trim and plain J is the off road.
Dang nice bikes for little money back in the day.
I Still think Yamaha stole the mono-shock idea from Powell.

pomfish

My friend is bringing this bike to Maple Grove Raceway, Mohnton PA. at the spring swap meet tomorrow, However he is not setting up. Just bringing it along so if someone who is attending can get it there and avoid any shipping.
If you've wanted one on the east coast, here's our chance.
So if you have an interest in it please PM me and we can arrange a time to meet up.

Wish I had the disposable cash myself to get into restoring this Powell, but it's not in the cards at the present time.
Thanks!
Keith