What size head is this?

DANP

Just ripped apart a GX160 only to find the head looks exactly the same size as the Predator 212 head I have. I was under the impression the GX160 had either a 14cc or 18cc.

Left is GX head, right Predator

rmm727

Hard to tell with all the carbon on there. Not all 160's had the smaller chambered heads. 18cc is a desireable head. I don't have one of those yet. Got lots of 14cc though

Motra

It's probably an 18cc head. The combustion chamber of the 14cc head looks different. I think the 212 head is 21cc but I'm not sure. The18 and 21cc heads look similar but the 21cc is noticeably deeper.

DANP

Now that you mention it, the Predator head does look a little bit deeper, I guess cc's are pretty small so you cant really see them haha.

Its not a Honda head,someone milled a 22cc head and put in on the gx160. Measure the the overall height of both heads and differ at about .060-.070 roughly.

Both are 22cc heads.
Need to see the casting numbers to properly identify.

One apears to have been worked on ( top )
Hard to say, might have been surfaced on a sheet of glass to level it.
It looks like a very early Chinese casting.

A milled 22 is a fine head so is a 18 honda.

DANP

Here is a better picture. I have a hard time believing it's not the original head..it came off a 13 year old kids doodlebug. It looks like someone took a file to the intake?

Someone may have filed it.

On closer inspection I am wrong.
That is an older Honda 18cc head
Someone has worked on it for sure.
The bow has had some work done, maybe the sort side radius has been touched too ( hard to tell ).

Nothing bad about the 18 I can see.
If a 13 year old kid did this work I am impressed too!
Nothing is actually buggered up.

Dan;Defiantly an oem honda 18cc head; and yes someone did some cleaning up in the Bowl area (the area under the valve where the Tidy bowl man sails his boat)

Here is a better picture. I have a hard time believing it's not the original head..it came off a 13 year old kids doodlebug. It looks like someone took a file to the intake?
Thats a true Honda head,and the file marks you see in the port are there from the Die cast shop where it was made.I know this because i once worked in a Die cast shop and that work is performed by the trim press operator.

I love the 18cc Honda head. The chamber is nice!!! I don't care for the 14cc, it needs too much work for my modified builds (compared to the 18cc for sure) JMO

I love the 18cc Honda head. The chamber is nice!!! I don't care for the 14cc, it needs too much work for my modified builds (compared to the 18cc for sure) JMO
Not really:
Some sculpting and relief around the chamber.

The important thing is for average fellow it is a big improvement over the 22 and a dish.

Most fellows go with a 14, a carb kit and pipe and that's all the hop up they need.
All my utility engines get the 14 just because the extra compression improves the fuel efficiency and low end torque.

DANP

So I decided to keep the 18 and get it milled down some. I just have a few questions.

How do I decide how much it should be milled?

I am getting a Predator flat top piston and billet rod. I don't know how I would go about finding how long of a rod I should get. Or are the longer rods only capable of being used with Wiseco pistons?

If my questions are really stupid forgive me, I am trying to teach myself..

vwfan79

I have a 18cc head milled .085 and it makes it about 12 or 13cc. The longer rod will work with a predator piston but if you don't have the room for it you will have to have to piston cut. In most predators there is room for a +.020 rod but don't take my word for it without measuring.