what type/brand/model frame did I build on?

hello everyone,

this is my first post. when i was in middle school i got interested in mini bikes and when I was about 15 i bought a mini bike frame off ebay for cheap, I'm 21 now. I'm pretty sure they guy selling it stated it was a Nova frame but that was it... he didn't mention a specific model and i don't think he knew much about it. i haven't been able to find much about the nova brand myself. i found an engine that fit well and got the bike running a couple times over the years but never really "fully restored" it. I bought 1967 bug in highschool and that became my full time project... but now I've shifted my focus back to the bike.

At this point i've painted it purple. hot rodded my engine very slightly. its an 80's king o' lawn 2hp briggs. I ported and polished the intake and exhaust, replaced the pulsa-jet carb with a slightly bigger float bowl style carb. made custom made manifold and throttle bracket. made gas tank from food can. semi-homemade exhaust which could look better

Sounds like you know its a Nova. here's a brochure for the Nova.

thank you. i don't know anything for sure but i suspected it could be a nova since the seller mentioned that name. I'm trying to find out more about it and a model name if possible

I've seen that picture before but the handle bars/fork on mine are different than the one in that brochure.

was the nova company very small, are the bikes "rare"?

I'm interested in your food can gas tank. Can you explain how you attached the filler cap?
Does it leak?

Danford1
i should have taken more photos during the process but have a couple i can post. the gas cap is from a pvc glue can. the tank is made from a quart sized marshmallow sauce can (i work at a frozen yogurt store). the fitting on the bottom is just a threaded and barbed brass fitting i bought from a hardware store.

i drilled a hole just to the size where i could twist the fitting in (it was tight fitting and held in well) then soldered it for added strength and to seal it.

i originally planned to solder the cap on as well but idk what metal they make those pvc cans out of but it wouldn't stick at all!!! i used jb weld instead and it worked good, holds up good too... at least so far

1. cut the top off an empty pvc glue can with a can opener.
2. make slits around the circumference of it, maybe every 1/4 inch (this is to help shape it)
3. drill a hole in the can slightly smaller than the cap opening (you can't actually drill it due to metal being too thin/hole to big. i cut a smaller hole then filled it out, dremel too)
4. bend it to the contour of the can as best you can
5. scuff it up both mating edges thoroughly
6. attach it with regular jb weld ( i was very generous, especially on the outside, and sanded away the excess)

that's what i thought originally but mine has brackets for fenders that look original?
Yes, but that is the Nova line up and that is your frame and forks. Either the fender mounts were added at the factory or by someone else. Judging by the fact that I have never seen fenders on any other Mustang and not too many other Nova bikes I would say yours were added by someone.

novaad.jpg
novaad2.jpg

Last edited:
As best I know they were made in Gardena Ca. only a few years like 68 and 69 and it seems the models sometimes got screwy , maybe towards end of production they used up whatever parts the had ??