What's the best trail bike?

toomanytoys

Super bronc with fat tires front and rear.

I have honest to go taken my Super Bronc places that 4x4 quads can't get.

Super Comfortable, Super stable at low speeds, Super fun, SUPER BRONC!

The Rupps with a 4HP are just too weak even with a TAV to really trail ride(unless you are an 80lb kid). I'm talking trails not walking paths through the woods I could take my 80 year old grandmother down. I never had my Bronc back down from a hill. Had it wheelie out from under me, but never had it just not able to pull a hill. I was climbing hills with it that I took my RZR up.

I would it a modified predator
On the rupp, i originally wanted a super bronc but they seem expensive even tho i hve a 8.5 tec i could put on one

Last edited:

joshua. c.

you might want to re write that last post so we can understand it better. and if you got an 8.5hp tecumseh why not just put that on the rupp. it shoold fit with some work. preditor engines do not belong on a classick like a rupp. putting a preditor engine in a rupp frame is like graffiting a beautiful painting. a rupp needs a flathead tecumseh or at least a flathead briggs.

toomanytoys

The 8.5 would never fit in the rupp without major frame reconstruction.

I had a modified predator on my black widow. It was a beast with it. A bit scary even

The fastest i can see my self going while feelin safe would be 45mph the only reason i am leaning towards rupp is that it can do dirt and road and all I'm not going in miss just some dirt trails and short fields of cut down plants

joshua. c.

The 8.5 would never fit in the rupp without major frame reconstruction.

I had a modified predator on my black widow. It was a beast with it. A bit scary even
a teck 8hp can be made to fit in that frame. i know somone who has a tecumseh star squeezed into a rupp mini bike, it was tight but it fit. a tecumseh star is based off the hm80 block. if one fits the other will. pluss i have a 1971 rupp roadster 2 im restoring that is in peces right now, i also have a tecumseh hm100 sitting on a shelf. so i threw it in the frame to see if it fit and it did. another good choice woold be an h50 h60 or h70 tecumseh. they are a bit smaller and easier fit in the frame than a hm80 or hm100 and provide alot more power than the hs40 that the bike comes with. i herd somone on youtube claiming to have been clocked at 70 mph with an h70 in a rupp but that might be exaggeration. h70s also look alot better in a rupp frame than a preditor.

fistfullabar

My brothers 1970 rupp roadster with 14 inch wheels stock honda plus front and back hydro brakes needs a engine up grade got a sick 44 year old nos engine that will look better and give it mo muscles fo da hustle:thumbsup: james c is right the ohv engines dont look right in the frame if you wanted you can stretch the frame and stick whatever kind of engine you want but gotta do inserts and gussets like dave wulf did to his rupp to handle the extra power:hammer::grind:

Just my opinion but minibikes are for easy fun riding and trail bike are a totaly different

In order to get to the level of performance that is needed to make a good working powerfull and SAFE mini/trail bike , you need a lot of money and experience

A modern dirtbike is so much better and cheaper than any old school ride

David Wulfs bike is awesome I got to see it in person last year but it is as much modern dirtbike as you can get with a pullstart , his fab and design skills are awesome but even he had to send some parts out $$$

I would look for a rebuildable honda or even a chinese nockoff and keep the minibikes for the awesome fun cruisers that they are

markus

this i think is a great "trail" bike that still retains alot of mini bike characteristics. Its really not much bigger than a bonanza sized bike, still pretty light nice seating position etc.. If I actually had somewhere to go ride I would not have gotten rid of mine, it would have been the bike I would have built "for me".

this one's even in NY :thumbsup:

Vintage Heathkit Mini Bike Hilltopper Boonie Scooter | eBay

toomanytoys

this i think is a great "trail" bike that still retains alot of mini bike characteristics. Its really not much bigger than a bonanza sized bike, still pretty light nice seating position etc.. If I actually had somewhere to go ride I would not have gotten rid of mine, it would have been the bike I would have built "for me".

this one's even in NY :thumbsup:

Vintage Heathkit Mini Bike Hilltopper Boonie Scooter | eBay
Anyone coming down from that way to winber? :laugh: I need another hill topper!