What's the Max cylinder pressure a Hemi Predator can handle?

I know for a fact it can handle 140psi compression but I am curious just how far can it go without launching the head like a rocket.
I replaced the stock head bolts with steel ones from Tractor Supply for extra support.

I replaced the stock head bolts with steel ones from Tractor Supply for extra support.
Stock bolts are steel, grade 10.9 steel. What grade bolts did you buy at Tractor Supply? Unless you bought grade 12.9 bolts, you have not upgraded anything.

CarPlayLB

Grade 5 bolts from Tractor Supply will be more elastic than than the stock bolts!:doah: Maybe that will have less of a tendency to pull the aluminum threads from the aluminum block...so maybe your downgrade really was an upgrade?

The bolts are not the weak link! The block is. The Pred blocks can handle 300 psi if set up properly. I am sure you have already smoothed the rough casting marks to eliminate any weak spots, and I am sure you have already had it checked for cracks. That .290 cam will work fine for you!

Tapping the holes to full depth and installing good studs, is an upgrade.
You went sideways, at best. TSC $3.99/lb Grade 8 is backward.
Cranking cylinder pressure is a function of static compression less cam bleed-off.
Dynamic compression ratio is the item to math out.
Super high compression would require welding the chamber.
Higher pressures reduce power at high revs, and beat up the rod at low revs. Great midrange though, I guess.
Excess milling just weakens the clamping of the head, making gasket failure more likely.

CarPlayLB

Tapping the holes to full depth and installing good studs, is an upgrade.
You went sideways, at best. TSC $3.99/lb Grade 8 is backward.
Cranking cylinder pressure is a function of static compression less cam bleed-off.
Dynamic compression ratio is the item to math out.
Super high compression would require welding the chamber.
Higher pressures reduce power at high revs, and beat up the rod at low revs. Great midrange though, I guess.
Excess milling just weakens the clamping of the head, making gasket failure more likely.
there ya go! Throwing common sense at this! Why ya gotta be that way?:laugh:

Well I over torqued 2 of the stock head bolts a while back and they snapped in two so I decided to just get some from TSC. Was hoping they could handle this project I already started a while back as well. That already being said and done, no the .290 cam was not enough for me. I want to try something different.

8.5 compression ratio with about 140 psi compression on this new cam I chose. Took a lot of extra clearance to make it work and I still need to let the crank case breathe even more(crankcase pressure/blow-by reasons) but upon barely opening the throttle..whew wee, hahahaha.

I haven't put the power to the ground yet and haven't dared open the throttle with no load.
So I was just wondering just how much compression the engine would take before swelling like a balloon.

One extra question that has me confused... dynamic vs static compression.. Does compression increase as rpm rise?
Thanks for letting me pick your brains.

Edit: Found 1 answer: "Cranking cylinder pressure is a function of static compression= less cam bleed-off."

Last edited:
The Pred blocks can handle 300 psi if set up properly.
300 psi in the cylinder bore. O.K. I sure hope this is true because i'm doing a secret project and it is required to know this.

I took a picture of that statement in case I need to look back on it. Thanks. I'll go for about 270psi max.

CarPlayLB

300 psi in the cylinder bore. O.K. I sure hope this is true because i'm doing a secret project and it is required to know this.

I took a picture of that statement in case I need to look back on it. Thanks. I'll go for about 270psi max.
PERFECT! That will give you a 10% margin of error!

PERFECT! That will give you a 10% margin of error!
Ok ok. I'll be wise here and try for 250. Not much better but still better.

Now off to find some mathematical formulas and calculate. I shall post back another day with the results on this if all works well.

Again, thanks.