Which Coleman should he keep?

A friend of mine wants to go riding with me and picked up two Coleman minis for a very fair price.
Both are like new with few hours on them.
One is a BT200X the other is the more common CT200U-EX. Bot have head lights/kits. No fender racks.
I'm no expert on these bikes other than to check them out and make sure their good-to-go riding in our mountains.
I'd very much like to read your owner opinions on which model bike he should keep?
Thanks. patmini2.jpg

patmini1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't own either but, of the two, the BT200X would be my choice due to its larger frame tubing and gusseting at the steering head. It appears to be quite a bit sturdier than the CT200U-EX. I've seen a couple of CT200U-EXs on Craigslist with the frame bent in the steering head area, the frame bent instead of the fork when someone hit something.

SAS289

I would keep the BT. And it's the best looking of the Coleman 200's IMO.

I was thinking about selling one of my 200U's to finance part of buying a BT. My son tells me he knows guys who would give $400 right now for the bike. That would be nice considering I have about $250 into it including the initial cost of the bike.

SAS289

Thank you for the info.
And recommend to him to leave the governor alone. If he wants better low end and higher top speed he should install a torque converter. For even better low end get a 60 tooth sprocket to go with the torque converter. With those there is no need to touch the governor.

I would certainly keep the Coleman - BT200X Mini Bike for yourself, it has a lower center of gravity compared to the CT200U-EX Mini Bike & they handle better. The BT200X also has a beefy frame & is very durable. They are both nice mini bikes don't get me wrong, but the BT200X is better in my opinion.

He is going to keep both of them. He got a good deal on both. They wanted 1,200 for both, I found cut wires for the head light and the rear tire had a slow leak. We got them delivered to his house for 800 bucks. Both bikes are like new the tires still have the flashing on them.Paint is perfect oil is still weak coffee colored, both clutches show no wear at all, chains still had factory oil on them. We took them one at a time for a seven mile ride on my mountain.

I don't own either but, of the two, the BT200X would be my choice due to its larger frame tubing and gusseting at the steering head. It appears to be quite a bit sturdier than the CT200U-EX. I've seen a couple of CT200U-EXs on Craigslist with the frame bent in the steering head area, the frame bent instead of the fork when someone hit something.
Here's another bent EX that's a new listing on the local CL. Seller mentions a "few scrapes" and a "small tear in seat" but says nothing about the bent frame; it may be quite obvious to most of us but maybe not so much to someone unfamiliar with minibikes and looking for their first one. Placing a straightedge on the photo, the near fork tube appears to be a bit bowed.

Bent frame.jpg
https://norfolk.craigslist.org/snw/d/franklin-coleman-mini-bike-camo/7177922858.html

Last edited:

SAS289

Probably someone who wanted to go faster, thought they were brilliant and manipulated their throttle system, started it, and when they opened the choke the bike took off and crashed. Pretty common.