Which mounting points to use on motorcycle style engine?

I an getting ready to mount a 125cc Loncin engine/transmission on my minibike. I know the two lateral holes can be used, but there are also four threaded holes on the bottom of the engine. They are space quite close together and I wonder if they are meant to take all of the load if used as the only mounting points. Does anyone know?

Most of the quads footrests are welded off the frame sides. I know the kazuma brand 110 motor mounts with the 4 bolts and rear mount others just use the lateral bolt setup some of the atc and Honda quads do use the bottom bolts for footpegs

i used the bottom holes only on a 50cc 4 spd worked fine but a 125? i would use the bottom bolts, bolt it down and then weld either a top or rear mount

The engine is held in place with a couple of through bolts that first go through the frame, then the engine and frame again.

The bolts on the bottom are for foot pegs. I have a CT-90 here I could take photos of if that would help.

The engine is held in place with a couple of through bolts that first go through the frame, then the engine and frame again.

The bolts on the bottom are for foot pegs. I have a CT-90 here I could take photos of if that would help.
Thanks, Bumblebee. Thanks for the offer of a picture, but I can picture what your saying. Those four pads on the bottom are so close together that I can see how they would only be used for foot pegs.

i used the bottom holes only on a 50cc 4 spd worked fine but a 125? i would use the bottom bolts, bolt it down and then weld either a top or rear mount
This looks like a good option. I will have to be moving the engine for chain adjustment, maybe an additional added bracket with slots in it would work. Thanks! I've got a template for making vertical mounting plates coming from Jason. Looks like that worked well for him. It makes use of the proper lateral mounting holes.

Hey cdownie3, a picture is worth a thousand words. That's a beautiful mount! I just started on this forum and keep seeing more and more work done with real class! What kind of power is that? Is this a bike you are working on now, or is it finished?

Hey cdownie3, a picture is worth a thousand words. That's a beautiful mount! I just started on this forum and keep seeing more and more work done with real class! What kind of power is that? Is this a bike you are working on now, or is it finished?
Sorry for the dumb question. I just looked at the previous thread and see that the engine is from a Honda, and that you are finished! The bike is really cool.

Hey Gary! Check out David Wulfs build in the link! He made a bracket and used some of the mounting holes underneath.....he needed the engine to be low on this one for chain clearance but you will lose engine movement for chain tension if you go this route!

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/projects-and-rides/87981-bonanza-mx-project-17.html
I got the template today! Thank you very much for taking the time to copy it and send it to me, Jason!!!!!! It fits with my engine. I like this clone stuff, where there is some interchangeability. I couldn't identify where the additional mount was in the pictures of David Wulf's bike. So, I have asked him about it. Also, I asked him where he got the tank for his beautiful ride.

Template.JPG

Sorry for the blurred pic! I'm afraid i don't have much practice with selfies! :drool:

I got the template today! Thank you very much for taking the time to copy it and send it to me, Jason!!!!!! It fits with my engine. I like this clone stuff, where there is some interchangeability. I couldn't identify where the additional mount was in the pictures of David Wulf's bike. So, I have asked him about it. Also, I asked him where he got the tank for his beautiful ride.

View attachment 88511

Sorry for the blurred pic! I'm afraid i don't have much practice with selfies! :drool:
Hey Gary!! Great picture!! Its always nice to put a real face to an avatar!! Glad you got the template and you are very welcome!! :thumbsup:

I am thinking about the placement of the engine, forward and aft, too. From what I have read on this forum some people have had trouble with keeping the front end on the ground with shifter bikes. What is yours like in that respect? If a problem, i wonder how much it helps to keep the engine forward.

If I went without a jackshaft and mounted the brake disc to the wheel, and mounted the engine rearward, I would have a nice and short chain. Also, somebody pointed out to me how a failure of the rear chain on a jackshaft mounted brake system would cause a loss of brakes. I hope I don't seem to be belaboring all of this, but once it is welded it might as well be in concrete!

I'll bet a plasma cutter, along with some grinding, would do a nice job on the mount style that you sent me.

i see your template reaches all the way over to the top mount. I wouldnt bother with that one and if you are, its easier to just get the lower mount in place, and build the top mount from the mount point on the engine up to the upper tubes below the seat.

your current location for the engine looks good. you have a small enough frame there that chain length shouldnt become an issue. again using a chain tensioner will solve a lot of problems when it comes to chain routing and keeping tension and keeping sprocket wear to a minimum.

if you want to move the engine forward some, you would be fine rotating the engine a few degrees to gain clearance. also, your intake a carb setup should be taken into consideration right about now. With the space in the frame you have, i would turn the intake around facing forward and mount the carb in the forward position. I am not sure what intake you have with your engine, but there are many different ones (from chinese quads) that position the carb in different places, before the starter, other side of the starter, or turned to the front like i recommended. You will want to mock it up though as some intakes will give you different carb angles, which is why you want to take that into consideration when making the mount.

also exhaust. i mean when building these kinds of things we always expect to have to make things "fit" by modifying, but trying to mount the exhaust before you finish the motor mount may let you position the mount to do less modification to make the exhaust fit, which will save you time and work

let me know if you need any more ideas. im full of them lol