Why does it take 4 hours to bolt on a kickstand?

CarPlayLB

Yuup! that is right! 4 hours to bolt on a kickstand!
I bought a bicycle kickstand at the swap for $5...I knew I'd use it one day! My Gilson build had the metal perches welded in for a bicycle kickstand, so here it is! The kickstand was too long so I had my buddy Randi at the 125cc garage do some shortening. He did a fantastic job...amazing work! But as usual, I was too conservative with how much shorter it needed to be. I was able to get a slight bend put back in at the top and that solved the problem...after I had it clear coated! Messed that up! Had to redo it! At that point I thought that zinc plating polishes out decent, so I polished it. Here is the "other" issue

The bicycle kickstands have no real spot to get a good snug bolt on it and I had no room on top of the motor plate for a bolt. I used a button head allen (chrome of course!) and ran it downwards. But now how to get a good even torque on it? This is what I came up with

take some aluminum rod, drill straight through and mill it flat...all in a drill press!

...and here is the final product on the bike

good thing I don't charge by the hour!

That looks great on there....:thumbsup:

It further compliments all the other 'shiny stuff' on there.

Nice work !

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

Eric, The bike looks awesome...the color and chrome really compliment each other.. I was concerned the stand might be a bit too long, I should have put the bottom of the bend at the line I suppose..

markus

Looks good, like the spacer idea :thumbsup: Can you get to it alright when its in the up position? I kept fighting with a stand I did on a bike that originally used a fat foot like those Gilson bikes used trying to put a standard style on. It kept ending up under the bike and was a bitch to get at :doah: It sat a little farther under the bike than how Gilson had set them up though.

CarPlayLB

Looks good, like the spacer idea :thumbsup: Can you get to it alright when its in the up position? I kept fighting with a stand I did on a bike that originally used a fat foot like those Gilson bikes used trying to put a standard style on. It kept ending up under the bike and was a bitch to get at :doah: It sat a little farther under the bike than how Gilson had set them up though.
Markus, I looked like a PRO-fessional mechanic when mounting it! I laid out a towel and propped the bike against the work bench. I laid on the ground and installed it that way. The Gilson has the mount very close to the outside frame rail and access is very easy....with kickstand up or down. I did install it in the up position as there is a sizeable hunk of metal welded to the frame rail on the bottom. As it is dead center, I mounted the kickstand so it would be behind that piece when up. Was easy when I had the right things going on!

Ha! Glad to see you DID have a challenge on the Panamanian Taxi! Adapting a kick stand is an absolute bear on these bikes....I didn't even think to share how I did it with Copperhead....I'll just say 4 hours is QUICK!:doah: