Windber, How much money does it cost you guys for the weekend?

Lets talk about Windber and how much it costs for the weekend. I mean from when you leave home until you get home again. Gas, Food, camping/lodging, registration etc.
For instance. I'm about 400 miles or 8 hours away. I just took a 223 mile trip today to pick up a minibike. I filled the van before I left and filled it when I got back. It took 17 gallons at $2.49 each, it got 13.1 mpg. It cost $42.50.
Now, 400 miles would cost me about $75 one way. I eat a lot and drink a lot of pop/water so 3 meals a day say, $30 per day. Registration $10. If camping $150 for the 4 nights, if hoteling, it would be double to triple that plus the gas to and from the event. So about $500 for 4 days if camping. Say $650 -$750 if hotel staying. That doesn't include anything else you buy.
Is that what it cost you to go? I bet it costs more especially if you bring another person or two with you.

What do you guys spend? Could be $1000 weekend .....

Danford1

Last edited:

capguncowboy

Where did you get that it cost $150 to camp for 4 nights? It's $40 to camp Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and I think $20 if you opt to come early on Thursday. $60 for camping, max. Your riding passes are $10 each, and you have to buy those even if you don't stay there. You can ride without one.

I think last year, with gas and food, I spent about 400 on the trip, but I bought all of the food for 4 of us and paid for all of the gas too.

If you've already got the camping gear, it's really not bad at all.

I'm reading the Registration Form. After May 15th the prices go up. It says $50 for Friday and Saturday. I "assumed" it was $50 each night. After rereading it, it looks like the $50 is for the two nights.
Wednesday and Thursday are $25 each. That be $100, not $150 . Saturday Party is $15. Bikes for the show are $5 each.
Is there a charge for the swap meet?

Danford1

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
You don't need to enter the "show" , DON'T NEED TO GO TO THE SATURDAY BBQ/PARTY, there is no charge for the swap meet, it is the entire area, everyone's camp site is part of the swap meet. I put in round trip 700 miles, buy food and cook at the site, pulling a big trailer, spent about 500 for the 4 day weekend, made most of that back with the sale of a few items i bought through out the year at a good price. Wouldn't care if it was twice the price. It is a great time.

Last edited:

pomfish

No reason to be there Wed. night as they only allow you in at 6pm, Come Thursday morning.
That's when the best horse trading is done anyway and before the crowds of Friday/Sat.
Bring your own cases of Soda, Hot Dogs, Hamburgers etc. and a Blow up Mattress/pillow/tent and enjoy for cheap!
If you don't have a grill. someone will let you use theirs.
People help each other at this gathering, it is communal and very refreshing in today's self-centered world.
You can definitely eat 3 meals for less than $30 a day.

Trust me, it is worth the trip.
Hope to see you there.
Later,
Keith

21 hours driving each way ( burns a tank of fuel every 4 hours) , 2 nitghts in hotels
Then food on the road
The final cost Priceless in my opinion

Thanks for all the positive replies. I've been reading up on it some more. The reason for Wednesday is to get a better camping spot, perhaps one that is level but not at the bottom of a hill where the rain collects. Camping in puddles or on a hill is over for me... Been there done that not happening again.
I've also read minibikes are all over and drive around all day. That could be heaven, and also Hell. I have tinnitus which is ringing in my ears 24/7. Certain sounds are EXTREMELY loud to me even when they aren't loud at all to other people. The sound of a straight pipe on a minibike is one of those sounds. Yes, I read most people have mufflers... but not everyone. Then throw in a 2 stroke with a straight pipe ..... let's not go there ... Ok so after dark "most" of the minibikes are put away for the evening. Then the generators are running. The guys next to you probably like to drink beer and sit by a camp fire half the night all talking louder than, and laughing louder than, the guy sitting right next to him, like they are in a bar or someplace.

I've been through scenarios like this before. The answer people give you is "sleep with ear plugs." Did you ever try to sleep with ear plugs? How did your ears feel the next morning? Hurt pretty bad didn't they? I read "bring your stuff to Windber and sell it, every camp site is a swap space. Also you can ride your minibike all day. Well, I can't do both at the same time. What do you do. put all your swap meet stuff away while you go for a ride, then bring it back out when you are done? I would be traveling alone. There wouldn't be anyone there to watch and sell my stuff when I wanted to go for a ride (along with the straight pipers and 2 strokes).
I also read where "it will be the best vacation you ever had". Somehow I think not. Maybe for a beer drinker in good health with a straight pipe minibike, but not for an old fart with tinnitus like me...
I think I just talked myself out of going to Windber. I can sell my stuff from home without spending hundreds of dollars to do it. Every dollar I would spend to get there and back is a dollar less in profit I could make staying home where there aren't any straight pipes or 2 strokes... Oh Yes, I know most people have mufflers. My luck would prove a straight pipe clan would be camping next to me that likes to ride often and hoot and holler by a camp fire half the night. They may be the ONLY pipers in Windber - but they would be next to me. Murphy would make sure of it. The pipers and 2 strokes and generators have to be next to somebody don't they?

Danford1

Last edited:
7 +- hours drive time and $60 in gas each way. $166 for camping, registration, shirts, etc. i
buy food there, used to bring it and cook but i'm on vacation. figure $40 a day for chow for
'da wife and me. we get there wednesday, if they would let me arrive earlier i would.
it's a very inexpensive vacation.

capguncowboy

Thanks for all the positive replies. I've been reading up on it some more. The reason for Wednesday is to get a better camping spot, perhaps one that is level but not at the bottom of a hill where the rain collects. Camping in puddles or on a hill is over for me... Been there done that not happening again.
I've also read minibikes are all over and drive around all day. That could be heaven, and also Hell. I have tinnitus which is ringing in my ears 24/7. Certain sounds are EXTREMELY loud to me even when they aren't loud at all to other people. The sound of a straight pipe on a minibike is one of those sounds. Yes, I read most people have mufflers... but not everyone. Then throw in a 2 stroke with a straight pipe ..... let's not go there ... Ok so after dark "most" of the minibikes are put away for the evening. Then the generators are running. The guys next to you probably like to drink beer and sit by a camp fire half the night all talking louder than, and laughing louder than, the guy sitting right next to him, like they are in a bar or someplace.

I've been through scenarios like this before. The answer people give you is "sleep with ear plugs." Did you ever try to sleep with ear plugs? How did your ears feel the next morning? Hurt pretty bad didn't they? I read "bring your stuff to Windber and sell it, every camp site is a swap space. Also you can ride your minibike all day. Well, I can't do both at the same time. What do you do. put all your swap meet stuff away while you go for a ride, then bring it back out when you are done? I would be traveling alone. There wouldn't be anyone there to watch and sell my stuff when I wanted to go for a ride (along with the straight pipers and 2 strokes).
I also read where "it will be the best vacation you ever had". Somehow I think not. Maybe for a beer drinker in good health with a straight pipe minibike, but not for an old fart with tinnitus like me...
I think I just talked myself out of going to Windber. I can sell my stuff from home without spending hundreds of dollars to do it. Every dollar I would spend to get there and back is a dollar less in profit I could make staying home where there aren't any straight pipes or 2 strokes... Oh Yes, I know most people have mufflers. My luck would prove a straight pipe clan would be camping next to me that likes to ride often and hoot and holler by a camp fire half the night. They may be the ONLY pipers in Windber - but they would be next to me. Murphy would make sure of it. The pipers and 2 strokes and generators have to be next to somebody don't they?

Danford1
It sounds an awful lot like you're trying to talk yourself out of it.

There are rules. Jeff enforces them without waiver. Lights out at 10pm, no mini bikes running after dark. No generators either, with the exception of a couple that use them for medical reasons. Last year was the last time Jeff said he would allow 2-strokes with straight pipes (he said CT70 was the biggest two stroke he was allowing) with the exception of the parade. The campground is just a giant field. It's proabbly 30-40 acres and there are plenty of places to camp that are both dry and level. We got there Friday morning last year and had a mostly level and completely dry site, and lots of room on either side of us.

If you're planning on going to make money, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Go to have fun, and making money is a bonus. It can't be all work and no play, right?

If you're selling stuff and want to go ride, just leave your stuff there. No one is going to mess with it. These are good people and I wasn't worried in the least that someone was going to take my stuff. Put up a sign with your cell phone number and if someone wants to buy something, they'll call you

Last edited:
Capgun...great reply, and literally exactly what I was thinking. Thank you.

Danford it sounds like you need a trip to Windber. It will literally renew your faith in humanity.

These really are great folks that attend the Windber Mini Bike Reunion....:thumbsup:

We look forward to meetin' ya'...!

Last edited:
This will be our 6th year going
We had no idea what to expect

It amazed me that after seeing more minibikes than can be imagined , that at ten o'clock at night there was dead silence
The only sound was the crickets and frogs

Do not confuse Windber with any other motor cycle or race car event

There is practically no drinking or crazy late night partying

If you choose to not believe our experiences then you will be losing out

buckeye

Best trip I ever made in my life!
There is nothing but good people there.
And never once did I see any out of line behavior.

I am a old guy too and if I decide on creamation, some ashes will he spead at Windber.
That way I forever will be part of it.

And I will make sure it is right where Gumpit camps.
Haunt him the rest of his life.:laugh:

Go man. You won't regret it.:thumbsup:

Aren't the build off bikes going to be there? Look through the build threads. There are a lot of straight pipes on them plus 2 strokes with open pipes, no mufflers. Don't people ride their build off bikes?
I read through a lot of posts about Windber using the search feature, I saw the posts about open pipes and generators etc. I'm not just making this up. Like mentioned, Murphy likes me. If there is one "exception" to the rules or the one guy that chooses not to follow the rules, guess where he will be camping? Does that mean I have to pull up stakes and move giving up my spot that I got there early to get?
It sounds like this is a more responsible and perhaps quieter crowd than other events. I've never been around a couple hundred other mini bikers before. It just seems hard to believe all generators and minibikes are shut off at 10 PM and no one is up sitting by a campfire drinking and talking. What about the kids arguing with parents "I don't want to go to bed now!!!" Sorry son you must. "But I don't want to and don't have to if I don't want to!!!!" Yes you do because I said so ...No!...Shut up and go to bed! .. No I won't, if Kenny can stay up so can I..... on an on to be hear by all ....does that stop at 10 PM too? :) Just kidding .... LOL.

Guys I do want to go, just don't know if I can go. Perhaps I am trying to talk myself out of it which could be futile.
Heaven knows I need a vacation. It would be nice to relax for a few days.

Danford1

capguncowboy

What about the kids arguing with parents "I don't want to go to bed now!!!" Sorry son you must. "But I don't want to and don't have to if I don't want to!!!!" Yes you do because I said so ...No!...Shut up and go to bed! .. No I won't, if Kenny can stay up so can I..... on an on to be hear by all ....does that stop at 10 PM too? :) Just kidding .... LOL
Those kids are in bed by the time 10pm rolls around. Last year, I don't recall seeing any kids out after about 8:00. They played hard and fell asleep fast.

Seriously Dan, come. You can camp over near me (just below BigRob). I'll even feed you lunch on Saturday :laugh:

Just get to Windber. There isn't much drinking and if you do, it has to be in a closed container. The show is very family orientated. Those little kids ride there bikes non stop. The kids are passed out by 8:00. After I talk and ride all day I'm out by 8:00.:laugh: First year I went I took a grill and food. Not worth it when your by yourself. The food there is great and very cheap. :thumbsup:

Rupp 72

Danford1 did you make a thread simply to talk yourself out of going? You seem to be making a lot of assumptions for never actually experiencing Windber for yourself. I've gone twice and drove with my family all the way from Wisconsin and the whole family loves it every year. Anyone with a loud bike sticks to the trails in the hills or the oval track which is away from the campers. Generators are off by 10 or 11 at the very latest. There is no worrying about leaving stuff out around your campsite, these are good people and no one will mess with any of your items for sale. And I didn't hear of anyone being loud by a fire or at their camp site late in the evening.

Is called the "minibike reunion" not the "minibike show" or the "minibike fest" but the "minibike reunion" because it's about minibikes and family. Don't let the thought of loud noises or the money keep you from talking to some of the smartest and most fun minibike guys and girls out there. I can personally say that all of the people at the "minibike reunion" are like one big family. I remember trying to rebuild an entire engine in one day just so i could ride in the parade and i had many people on and off of OldMiniBikes.com giving me pointers, scavenging up parts i needed, and helping me however they could. I remember riding more than i though possible and running out of gas and instead of driving into town to fill up another 5 gallon jug, our camping neighbor just filled up my tank no questions asked and away i went. The first year we went i only brought two bikes and the one mom had been riding broke down and my mom wanted to keep riding so Chatten gave her one of his nicest Heald bikes to ride on for the weekend. I also remember Buckeye talking with me about the Rupp TT500 i had just restored at the time and i assured him he needed to hop on it and take it for a ride. I can't express the amount of friends and memories I've made in Windber. It is truly a vacation unlike any other and is something you really just won't understand until being there.

I want to go every year, i work out how much it would cost and how much travel time it would take me and realize its a cake walk for a vacation, the ONLY reason i have yet to come to Winber is my stomach issues making me very nervous about coming. Oh trust me Ill be making it this year or next year i have a friend ill bring with and i know it will be a ball. Every year i look forward to everyone posting their Winber stories and pictures and each year its getting me closer to coming

Wow guys, It is touching how much all of you are encouraging me to go. No I didn't really create the thread to talk myself out of it. I wanted to find out how much it costs to go. As I was finding out I was researching it. I can clearly see it isn't what I first thought. I've been to too many loud events before and "assumed" this would be another one. I don't drink so no worries of me with any open containers.
I have a full size van and once I load a few mini's in it and my swap stuff, there won't be much room for a lot of camping gear. I have a minibike for sale now and it looks like the profit money from that will help fund the trip. Of course that would have to be one of the bikes I take.
Windber is 3 weeks away. I have some things to do around my household and should be able to get everything done in time. If I sell some items there I can fund my return trip as long as I don't buy more than I sell... Now I almost talked myself into going.
Thanks guys...

Danford1