Windber Mini Bike Reunion 2016

Due to abuse of the rules at Windber there will be changes in the works this winter. Jeff and I will be making changes to due the lack of respect for his property and rules. Riders continued to ride the dirt road and blacktop road after multiple announcements to NOT do it. Racing thru the vender areas. Children out of control. Get it together parents. You set the example. Some of the adult riders are the worst offenders. The parade was a disaster. People NOT obeying the rules. Passing in the oncoming traffic lanes. No respect for Jeff with kind of behavior. He is responsible for the event. The blame falls on him. Then the ACCIDENT. First time ever. Police and EMS involved. That should have never happened.. This may be the end of the Parade due to all the bad behavior. Rules will be changed. No longer will new auto parts store mini bikes be welcome. A pre- date for all bikes will be enforced. This a VINTAGE meet. Not a free-for-all to destroy someone's private property. His family lives there. Have respect for it. He doesn't have to open his home to you. You know who you are. Not all are to blame. Remember it only takes a few idiots to ruin a great thing. And who am I? I have attended this since the 2nd meet and Jeff is my friend.
Razzo, I know who you are. You're the guy that turned me on to this great event years ago which I'm still trying to make for the first time. You're a wonderful minibike enthusiast who has been a tremendous supporter of this and other events like the upcoming one in Portland Indiana, as well as an unrelenting supporter of this hobby. Last year, or who knows maybe the year before, I bitched about the videos I saw posted in which I commented that I saw a lot of unsafe riding. I was mostly mocked and told to ride toward the back of the pack, (which I would normally do anyhow) but now my prediction has come to fruition, and I'm left feeling nothing but sadness. To think that the parade has been put in jeopardy makes me feel like I may never experience the real Windber. I hope that you, Jeff, Dawn, and the entire family of minibike enthusiasts will work together to re-make this event into the great event I have read about in the past. And maybe I'll see you next year with my Z-50's.

I believe it was mentioned "trailering" the bikes to and from the parade which based on the number of bikes seems like either it would take too long or just keep people from wanting to do the parade at all or even go to the event. I know everyone wants to open up the throttle and see what their bikes can do. I would suggest the faster riders in the front and the kids or slower riders in the rear where they won't have to worry about being passed. Not that the faster riders would be allowed to totally go crazy. But at least be limited to not passing Jeff. I am also wondering if there is a place in town available for a more of a "speed test" area?
Speed test is what caused the first crash...I don't feel we should be asking for that area, the police would probably say no way ever.

buckeye

This makes me sad.
But, I know how it is hosting an event. Nothing on this scale and not my property.
There is always some that will push it just one step further than they should.

This event was one of the coolest things I have ever attended.
What a shame it would be to not be able to do the parade.

Speed test is what caused the first crash...I don't feel we should be asking for that area, the police would probably say no way ever.
no (speed test ) did not cause the wreck . This is JMHO but being bunched up so tightly is what helped cause it . Just like on the interstate when the traffic is bunched up . I was bumped end the rear tire many times coming back , no brake lights on these bikes . In the three parades I've been in there have been no accidents till now when all were held to a creep . Being in the back of the pack we came to a stop many times .
Also the accident was on film , I talked to the guy who was behind him and it's on go pro . He was on the edge of the road and slipped off and got into the lose stuff and lost it . If the riders wouldn't have been so bunched up maybe it wouldn't have happen . This is just my three cents .

Can we please talk about how much fun everybody had.
Amen sister !!!!!! I for one had an awesome time meet so many people in person that I talk to regularly and consider friends ... in my experience this is what always happens . A couple negative or unfortunate incidents get magnified an over shadow all of the positive.

Can we please talk about how much fun everybody had.
I agree. Bitching on here is pointless because the people who were acting up aren't even on this forum so time to focus on the positive. Some cool bikes this year. I spent the majority of my time doing laps around the property on foot talking to everyone and enjoying the bikes. good times

Wow, this was our fourth year at Windber, and it was better than ever.

It was so good seeing everyone.

Thanks to Jeff, and his family, and his 'family of friends' that help to put on this amazing event :thumbsup:

The 'community' that comes together in Windber, is inspirational.......everyone there seems intent on making sure that everyone else's time in Windber is the best.

Last year we were bikeless, as we travelled by car, Ron (Rugerthedog) and Rob (Bigrob) made sure we had rides for the weekend :thumbsup:

This year...was my first ever of having to take 'pieces' of a bike there with the hopes of putting that bike together there, and riding it ! I didn't really intend to put it together there...at least not more than bolt the bucket on, which was being delivered, reglassed and painted by Chatten63 ! But that's how it worked out, and I wanted my kids to get to ride that trike this year at Windber.

As soon as I pulled out the trike frame and started messing with it, assistance in the form of advice, parts, sawhorse work stand, mechanics...multiple mechanices, encouragement, etc.....just came out of the woodwork. If it hadn't been for the help from all these fine folks, my 6 year old son would still be staring at a trike frame saying...all we need now is a seat !

As it turned out, he was able to ride on it, him and our granddaughter, and get this...my wife rode it too :thumbsup: :scooter:

Many thanks to Mariah, Kenny, and Gumpit for their mechanical help and advice, the Wulf Brothers for their killer bike stand, and advice, Gumpit again for his box-o-bolts/screws/washers, Not-so-mini-bike for the various parts, and his bike stand, Biffmini for the various parts, Chatten63 for his work on restoring the bucket, and various parts I bought from him, and advice I got when my bronc had a temporary issue, and to Dumptruckboy for the Tri-Sport decals, Manchester1 for measuring for a future seat, Chipper for the electrical tape and advice, and to everyone else that stopped by to help or inquire :thumbsup:

Thanks also to Bill from Coral Caverns for the ride to the store, and re-feuling.

And thanks to DocDC for the advice :thumbsup: and his daughter Sam for taking my wife and various kids on their golf cart on the parade route !!

Whew...and if I missed anyone, thank you too !!

Again, the best vacation I've ever had.

Like I said y'all....the community and this event is amazing !

Last edited:
One of the best memories I took away from the whole event was at the bike show !!! There were a couple little guys that entered bikes one a Indian one a bonanza . And watching Jeff asking them about their bikes and the look on their faces while they were telling him about what they had built was priceless!!!!

pomfish

Late Saturday around dusk quite a few Wives,Sisters, Women came buy riding the minibikes.
Maybe because of the mid-afternoon curfew and everyone being on their best behavior made them feel comfortable enough to enjoy a stroll without dodging a million bikes.

Anyway it was nice to see. Maybe there should be an "Adult Swim" time for strolling in the future.
I had lots of fun just seeing everyone and taking it all in. Didn't take many pics, which means it wasn't needed.
Memories are good enough some times.
Later,
Keith

Wow, this was our fourth year at Windber, and it was better than ever.

It was so good seeing everyone.

Thanks to Jeff, and his family, and his 'family of friends' that help to put on this amazing event :thumbsup:

The 'community' that comes together in Windber, is inspirational.......everyone there seems intent on making sure that everyone else's time in Windber is the best.

Last year we were bikeless, as we travelled by car, Ron (Rugerthedog) and Rob (Bigrob) made sure we had rides for the weekend :thumbsup:

This year...was my first ever of having to take 'pieces' of a bike there with the hopes of putting that bike together there, and riding it ! I didn't really intend to put it together there...at least not more than bolt the bucket on, which was being delivered, reglassed and painted by Chatten63 ! But that's how it worked out, and I wanted my kids to get to ride that trike this year at Windber.

As soon as I pulled out the trike frame and started messing with it, assistance in the form of advice, parts, sawhorse work stand, mechanics...multiple mechanices, encouragement, etc.....just came out of the woodwork. If it hadn't been for the help from all these fine folks, my 6 year old son would still be staring at a trike frame saying...all we need now is a seat !

As it turned out, he was able to ride on it, him and our granddaughter, and get this...my wife rode it too :thumbsup: :scooter:

Many thanks to Mariah, Kenny, and Gumpit for their mechanical help and advice, the Wulf Brothers for their killer bike stand, and advice, Gumpit again for his box-o-bolts/screws/washers, Not-so-mini-bike for the various parts, and his bike stand, Biffmini for the various parts, Chatten63 for his work on restoring the bucket, and various parts I bought from him, and advice I got when my bronc had a temporary issue, and to Dumptruckboy for the Tri-Sport decals, Manchester1 for measuring for a future seat, Chipper for the electrical tape and advice, and to everyone else that stopped by to help or inquire :thumbsup:

Thanks also to Bill from Coral Caverns for the ride to the store, and re-feuling.

And thanks to DocDC for the advice :thumbsup: and his daughter Sam for taking my wife and various kids on their golf cart on the parade route !!

Whew...and if I missed anyone, thank you too !!

Again, the best vacation I've ever had.

Like I said y'all....the community and this event is amazing !
I think Robert and his wife are the nicest people I have ever met. Their kids were well behaved and they were a blast to camp next to. Robert was out with a flash light working on his trike for his son till about 2-3am one night. I enjoyed being there. Hope to be there for years to come and one day have my children learn to ride there. (When that time comes) :wink:

Late Saturday around dusk quite a few Wives,Sisters, Women came buy riding the minibikes.
Maybe because of the mid-afternoon curfew and everyone being on their best behavior made them feel comfortable enough to enjoy a stroll without dodging a million bikes.

Anyway it was nice to see. Maybe there should be an "Adult Swim" time for strolling in the future.......

Saturday afternoon was the first time my wife has 'driven' a mini-bike more than 10 feet ! :smile:

Here she is passing in front of Chatten63 and Delrays site....she rode the new trike slowly around the lower circle half a dozen times, and was the first one on it the next morning.

I asked her about why Saturday to give it a try...and she confirmed your thought's Kieth...Amy said she was willing to give it a try because it was calmer, and there weren't a bunch of mini bikes flying everywhere.

I told her your idea about an 'adult swim' so to speak, and she said that would be great...or even better a 'ladies only' ride :thumbsup:

Phil1958's wife Cindy (sp) was a first time rider Saturday afternoon as well :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I think Robert and his wife are the nicest people I have ever met. Their kids were well behaved and they were a blast to camp next to. Robert was out with a flash light working on his trike for his son till about 2-3am one night. I enjoyed being there. Hope to be there for years to come and one day have my children learn to ride there. (When that time comes) :wink:
Karl, thank you for your kind words, It was great camping by you, and getting to know you better too.

I was worried my son and granddaughter were tormenting all the adults around us....they are a month apart in age, and when they get together they go nuts.

Sure was nice to be in an environment though where they could safely play (even if they were going nut's :doah:), and there was a whole 'village' around them. :thumbsup:

Here's to many more years there...and to children of your own !! :wink:

It was great to see you Robert. You have such a great family. Your boy is such a trip.:laugh: I think a couple of monsters where created by getting those wives on the trikes. :laugh: Of course there was a giant smile on there faces.:thumbsup:

Thank you Karen, it was great to see you, and spend time with you too. You are one of Cadman's favorite folk's....it didn't matter where we were...when he saw you he'd yell out 'hey Karen !!'

I am hopeful the girls will continue to ride, they really did seem to have a good time. I mean Cindy was all fired up about it :laugh: Mariah is the one that convinced her to give it a try :thumbsup:... and I think that helped to inspire Amy to try too.

Wow that was fun !

Razzo, I know who you are. You're the guy that turned me on to this great event years ago which I'm still trying to make for the first time. You're a wonderful minibike enthusiast who has been a tremendous supporter of this and other events like the upcoming one in Portland Indiana, as well as an unrelenting supporter of this hobby. Last year, or who knows maybe the year before, I bitched about the videos I saw posted in which I commented that I saw a lot of unsafe riding. I was mostly mocked and told to ride toward the back of the pack, (which I would normally do anyhow) but now my prediction has come to fruition, and I'm left feeling nothing but sadness. To think that the parade has been put in jeopardy makes me feel like I may never experience the real Windber. I hope that you, Jeff, Dawn, and the entire family of minibike enthusiasts will work together to re-make this event into the great event I have read about in the past. And maybe I'll see you next year with my Z-50's.

Hey Dan-0! I don't see you much on Planet Minis anymore! Thank you for all the kind words. You are right. It has been getting worst the past few years. People riding in every direction at speed and thru the camping/vender area. People bringing whatever they want to ride. Last year there was a drag race lawnmower! It has to stop. This was a great meet. We use to have beautiful vintage bikes every year. A lot of the regulars have seemed to stop coming in the past years. Changes have to made to keep this event going. It's a shame it came to this.

Last edited: