Would you go back?

I put my first TAV on my Brooks trail bike (my model originally just came with a jack-shaft).

I am BLOWN AWAY. I am running a nearly unmodified 212 cc Predator on this bike, which is a large bike for a mini, with big tires. This thing zips right up to its top speed of about 32 MPH (the engine is still governed). I can get the front tire off the ground just by hitting the throttle hard. I took the bike up some very steep hills today, The only trouble I had was keeping the front wheel on the ground.

That TAV pretty much allows a 6.5 clone to haul my 188 pound butt anywhere. AND it seems to slow the bike when I am coming back down... kinda like when you drop down a gear or two on a motorcycle.

I can see not having a TAV for a street bike, but for any future trail bike I have, you can bet you will find a TAV on it.:laugh:

So those who have had a TAV, would you go back to having just a centrifugal clutch set-up?

C9H13NO3

Maybe. On a trail bike? No. Not a chance. I put one on a warrior with a flathead and the thing will pull the front wheel up no problem, I've used the bike to pull a gokart out of the woods multiple times.

joekd

On street karts I still run a centri clutch but on a trail bike it would have to be either a TAV or at least a jackshaft setup since I don't ride anything that doesn't have big tires

toomanytoys

The TAV is simply amazing for trail riding.

On my Super Broncs and Hill Topper they are simply amazing.

I can ride wheelies all day long on my Super Bronc, climb just about anything. I even went as far as to put a set of pegs on the rear so I can lay out and try to keep the front end down climbing. Its a blast.

I never had a machine that I did not want to climb the big hills or get into the sand, so I have always went with Torque Converters and not always the 20 and 30 series because I liked the better grip with the 40 series Comet. The only way to go is the belt.
Steve :scooter:

I never had a machine that I did not want to climb the big hills or get into the sand, so I have always went with Torque Converters and not always the 20 and 30 series because I liked the better grip with the 40 series Comet. The only way to go is the belt.
Steve :scooter:
School me, what is the difference between the 20, 30 and 40 series?

My torque converter isn't even a Comet. It is a knock off brand, probably Chinese, don't know. It just came up when I did a search for "TAV 2" on ebay and was only $179 w/ free shipping. The seller had a 99.8% satisfaction rating, so I jumped on it. Didn't really realize it wasn't actually a Comet till it came, but it seems to work great, and in reviewing the ebay ad, it never actually said it was a Comet. It did say that the it uses the same belt. :shrug: