WTB Briggs Raptor III block

Greeting,

It appears I got snookered on a 1995 B & S Raptor III Kool Bore. The engine was smoking so I tore it down and found a pool oil on top of piston, plus other issues, see photo.

Also, see my post in "Engines and Modifications" section detailing the problem.

Anyway, I am in need of a good Raptor III block, preferably standard bore like the one I have. I have everything else, or I will buy what I need to finish. But if you have a good bones complete engine and/or parts, please let me know.

My zip is 48066

As always, kind regards,

Patrick

IMG_20211108_191557335[1].jpg

Last edited:
My concern is the out-of-round exhaust valve guide area. The bore is not too bad light scuffing, and still standard bore.

How do I get the valve guides out and the same for the valve seats? and how can tell what replacement size I need? and I can I make sure the new guides are true.

I am still looking for another block, but now I am not sure perhaps I can still use this one?

Regards,

Patrick

IMG_20211109_065915386[1].jpg

IMG_20211109_064712189[1].jpg IMG_20211109_064719982[1].jpg

Regards,

Patrick

Attachments

Why would you want to remove the valve seats? Can't you just regrind the valves and seats if there is a problem with them? Valves are readly available. You do have a ball bearing PTO so that's a plus, looks like a good core motor to rebuild. Check the crank that is is in spec, if it is a stock rod you can get a billet rod and a racing flywheel.

They only welded on one side, a number of builders welded both sides but that should not be a issue. It does appear to be a cool bore and I dont know if any raptor's had that. Briggs sells a tool to pull out and replace the guides.
the valve guide removal kit #19232 is no longer available.

Last edited:
Very typical reply for many of these old Briggs and Tecumseh parts that have not been manufactured in a LONG time and are no longer available. Just because these parts show up on some company's website is no guaratee at all that they actually have it in stock as many of these companies are very slow (if ever) to update their website parts inventory. I stopped ordering (and paying for) these old parts years ago via an online order for this very reason. Now, I always CALL and talk to someone that can "do a visual" and physically positively verify that they actuially have the part in question BEFORE I order it.
Michael

Last edited:
Very typical reply for many of these old Briggs and Tecumseh parts that have not been manufactured in a LONG time and are no longer available. Just because these parts show up on some company's website is no guaratee at all that they actually have it in stock as many of these companies are very slow (if ever) to update their website parts inventory. I stopped ordering (and paying for) these old parts years ago via an online order for this very reason. Now, I always CALL and talk to someone that can "do a visual" and physically positively verify that they actuially have the part in question BEFORE I order it.
Michael
Just thinking about the times I waited for a refund cuz something was obsolete but still on a website.

What is this engine going in?
If you don't mind me asking
Wobbly worn exhaust valve, out of round exh valve guide. Worn valves in general. Was smoky and had oily chamber, oily inside of header too. Still has standard bore (I think), it has brand new looking standard piston and rings. The rod, cap, and bearing look new. I have not measured the bore yet. Cylinder looks good, has one scuff of concern but that should not be a problem.

I have no history on the engine. I had it running for a short time, idled for a while. Took the head off saw all the oil, dried the chamber, cleaned off some carbon and put a new head gasket in. That's when I noticed the wobbly exh valve. Restarted it and was still very smoky. Engine is torn down now. So far I have new valves, guides, and springs. Ball bearing looks good. Needs seal. Cam looks ok still need to inspect it further. Everything else looks good, but I have not taken measurements yet.

Thanks for asking!

IMG_20211121_081550033[1].jpg IMG_20211121_081603804[1].jpg

Last edited: