Year shaft size went down from 3/4 ?

LIVIT

Hey y'all I'm shopping for a used coleman or similar offroad, adult size. What year did they go from the larger 3/4" shaft to the smaller size they are using now ? Tks

SAS289

Tks, have you had any probs, with them 5/8 / 16 mm ? Also have you put a CVT on ?
I have not put a CVT on a Hisun 196. If I ever put a CVT on the Hisun I have an extra 3/4" clone crankshaft to put in prior to the CVT.

Have not had any issues with the 16mm crankshaft.

LIVIT

I have not put a CVT on a Hisun 196. If I ever put a CVT on the Hisun I have an extra 3/4" clone crankshaft to put in prior to the CVT.

Have not had any issues with the 16mm crankshaft.
Tks, I found a great deal on a very nice 2020 CT200U EX. Has a new GPS Mod 1 kit. So if I do decide to buy it and want to go CVT. Should I wait till I change out engine to a tillitson or use the spacer for the 5/8 shaft. I see so many different on opinions on all this. Rather get it from people who have nothing to gain, but helping out a fellow enthusiast.

toomanytoys

I’d replace the crank shaft. Cheapest option. 30 bucks and maybe 20 minutes of your time if you’ve had a clone apart before and maybe an hour if you haven’t. There are many YouTube tutorials on how to do it.

you don’t need anything special besides an inch pound torque wrench. I use a 20 dollar harbor freight special on all my small engine stuff.

the adapter is wonky, but the tillotson is a great engine or the ducar is an even better option. Are they better than a hisun clone? Not really but I feel like my tillotson runs like a beast and out paces a stock predator pretty easy.

LIVIT

I’d replace the crank shaft. Cheapest option. 30 bucks and maybe 20 minutes of your time if you’ve had a clone apart before and maybe an hour if you haven’t. There are many YouTube tutorials on how to do it.

you don’t need anything special besides an inch pound torque wrench. I use a 20 dollar harbor freight special on all my small engine stuff.

the adapter is wonky, but the tillotson is a great engine or the ducar is an even better option. Are they better than a hisun clone? Not really but I feel like my tillotson runs like a beast and out paces a stock predator pretty easy.
I use to build and race bikes and cars. So I'm mechanically inclined. I have not ever done this type of engine. But it cannot be that hard. I did a lot of research on these Honda clones. From what I have read, it does seem the tillotson is a good buy. I'm not wanting a race machine. I'm a big man and have a lot of property to run around on, plus I want to do some trail riding. Just want it too be powerful enough to get my big butt around efficiently Which Tillotson do you have ?

SAS289

I would say that if you know for sure you want a CVT then go ahead and try the adaptor if you don't want to wait until you get the Tillotson. But use a 5/8" to 3/4" adaptor. This way the 3/4" CVT is ready for the engine with a 3/4" shaft.

I don't care for the adaptors at all. I would get a clone crankshaft for it.

And get a 60 tooth sprocket and a longer chain. It's just better gearing with the CVT.

LIVIT

I would say that if you know for sure you want a CVT then go ahead and try the adaptor if you don't want to wait until you get the Tillotson. But use a 5/8" to 3/4" adaptor. This way the 3/4" CVT is ready for the engine with a 3/4" shaft.

I don't care for the adaptors at all. I would get a clone crankshaft for it.

And get a 60 tooth sprocket and a longer chain. It's just better gearing with the CVT.
You must be reading my mind, ya scared yet ;P . My next questions were going to be about Sprockets and chains. I like the idea of split sprockets, but are they any good ? I'm going too upgrade any chains to 420 . Unless that is not a good idea.

LIVIT

I want too thank y'all for helping a newbie. You have given me a lot of options to think about. It's a big help. I know I'm going to be building another bike, soon as my girlfriend gets on one and finds out, how much fun they are.

SAS289

You must be reading my mind, ya scared yet ;P . My next questions were going to be about Sprockets and chains. I like the idea of split sprockets, but are they any good ? I'm going too upgrade any chains to 420 . Unless that is not a good idea.
The Coleman 200's and other "tall tire" bikes come with a 420 chain.

Split sprockets with a quality 35 chain work great and can handle power. I don't know if they make 420 split sprockets

toomanytoys

I use to build and race bikes and cars. So I'm mechanically inclined. I have not ever done this type of engine. But it cannot be that hard. I did a lot of research on these Honda clones. From what I have read, it does seem the tillotson is a good buy. I'm not wanting a race machine. I'm a big man and have a lot of property to run around on, plus I want to do some trail riding. Just want it too be powerful enough to get my big butt around efficiently Which Tillotson do you have ?
the 212r I think it’s called. It runs great. Starts first pull every time. I don’t race either. I ride around my yard, down the main road and hit some trails and such. Usually with my youngest daughter on it with me and sometimes with my oldest daughter on her bike. She is under 100lbs the stock bt200x goes every where she is capable of taking it.

I tend to run between 180 to 200 depending on what time of the year it is. The tav really woke the bike up. The bikes should’ve shipped from the factory with a TAV to be honest.

LIVIT

The Coleman 200's and other "tall tire" bikes come with a 420 chain.

Split sprockets with a quality 35 chain work great and can handle power. I don't know if they make 420 split sprockets
I looked and GPS and some others are offering #41/420 split sprockets. So we both learned something new !

If you're thinking about the Tillotson, get the Ducar 212 instead. It's a bit cheaper than the Tillotson and comes with a PVL flywheel instead of the cast one the Tillotson has. The PVL flywheel is rated to 17,000 rpm and won't have to be swapped out if you decide to remove the governor. With the Tillotson and it's cast flywheel, you need to swap it for a PVL or billet one when doing a governor removal.

Ducar makes the engines for Tillotson too. I've got a Ducar 212 and it's a great engine.

I think the only reason the Tillotson is more popular compared to the Ducar is brand name recognition. If you're going to heavily mod the engine it's a wash between the two. For a stock or mild setup, I'd lean towards the Ducar. Just it having the PVL flywheel makes it a better value.

https://www.eccarburetors.com/Ducar-212-Hemi-wPVL-Flywheel_p_2036.html

LIVIT

the 212r I think it’s called. It runs great. Starts first pull every time. I don’t race either. I ride around my yard, down the main road and hit some trails and such. Usually with my youngest daughter on it with me and sometimes with my oldest daughter on her bike. She is under 100lbs the stock bt200x goes every where she is capable of taking it.

I tend to run between 180 to 200 depending on what time of the year it is. The tav really woke the bike up. The bikes should’ve shipped from the factory with a TAV to be honest.
That's good to hear, I weigh around 225, so should be no prob then. I'm just going to go ahead and get a good quality CVT/TAV for it. Use the 5/8 to 3/4 adapter GPS has and then I will have it all to use on my Tillotson upgrade when I get it. I totally agree these big tire bikes should come with one for sure.
I'm going to use the stock motor, to learn with. Plan on doing a proper governor removal. Better valve springs etc... I been looking for a heavier duty pull start side cover. I don't trust these stock flywheels, is there such a thing ?