Zipster Build...

Here is the project I’ve been working on. It’s gone slowly since spare time is rare. I had delusions of entering the Build Off, but it wasn’t going to happen.

These are the frame sides. I don’t have the equipment or skill to bend up a frame, so I took the tubing and the pattern to a place that makes boat railings, and they made them up for me when it was slow.

Here are some pics of the frame tacked together. I am learning to weld on this project, so I’ll tack everything, and final weld the non-critical areas, but I’ll have a pro do the finish welds on the neck and rear axle mounting tabs.

Here’s the frame with the front end.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Seems like most of the time is in the planning, or fixing mistakes.

After the first full mockup, I found that the rear axle mounts’ alignment was messed up. :mad:

Here is the jig for my second try. I had a scrap plate that was dead square and parallel. I welded it to some ¾” tube. The 12mm axle fit tightly in some 5/8” PVC, which fit tightly in the steel tube, centering it perfectly. A few precisely placed dots on the plate allow me to align a laser level.

Here’s how the laser allows me to align the rear axle to the frame and neck. I’ll tack it once everything is lined up and clamped in place.

I'll keep updating as I make progress...

What kind of seat are you going to use? Springs?

What did it cost for the bends? Did they weld them together?
I'll be using a chopper/bobber seat with short 4" springs tucked under the seat.

The place that bent the frame sides also welded the ends of the tubes where they came together. Their welds were a lot nicer than I could do. I had it done during their down season, when they were slow. It cost about $120.

That was the decision, whether or not to build new, rebuild an older bike, or work on a DB. I figured I'd just go for it...

zipseattle,what kind of engine are you going to use...........:scooter:
I have a Subaru/Robin EX21 with an alternator. My goals are to first get it going with the stock motor. Down the road, I'll be looking to make basic mods - header, carb, maybe an external tank. Some sort of lighting setup would be after that...

delray

subaru/robin motor? i really dont know much about them or what they look like:eek:ut: comes with a lighted coil,sounds cool:thumbsup: lights...........:scooter: i will have look one up and see what it looks like.

A little progress - Handlebars...

Made a little progress. Tacked together the handlebars and worked on some other small items.

For a drive train, I'll be using a torque converter with the driven pulley on a frame mounted jackshaft to drive the chain.

delray

WhiteWalls:thumbsup:now it's looking really cool:drool:
i like to build a whitewalls minibike someday............:scooter:

Last edited: