Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Dave View Post
    One last consideration on gas tanks. You will be taping the tank off somewhere at the cap threads, lower. When you go for the application of clear, tape the cap above the line you taped for the base, so the clear overlaps it. This will prevent fuel from wicking into the base, creeping down the neck and causing bubbles in the paint.
    Thanks Dave, that's an excellent tip.
    I'm not afraid of death. I'm afraid of dying. I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my father did -- not like his screaming passengers

2. Thanks Havasu Dave thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I've heard it is also important to do everything with the same brand of paint from primer to clear. Is it as critical with a rattle can or more so?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyRedneck View Post
    I've heard it is also important to do everything with the same brand of paint from primer to clear. Is it as critical with a rattle can or more so?
    No. Automotive paints: These companies are in business to sell their products, so of course they will post dire warnings about mixing products. When you start getting in to your multi-stage, high end paint jobs, then yes, it "could" matter, but these days, even candies are urethane or acrylic, so it's not such a big deal.

A friend of mine was the owner of a successful body and paint shop in SoCal for several decades. (He gave the business to his son who now does high end car restorations) He, and those guys use one type of primer, another type of base, and another type of clear.

Hardware store spray paints: You will get varying degrees of color differences between different MFGR's products, even though they are labeled the same. So this can be a problem, and a rule of thumb is to try and stick with the same MFGR, although I don't always. You also don't want to put lacquer over enamel, including primers.

But as far as the original post concerning the urethane clears, they will go over anything that isn't petroleum. Rust, dust, bugs, no problem. Another tip you'll read on any MFGR of clear urethane is to scuff up "cured" base coats with 800-1000 grit. That is what they "recommend," and they say it because they don't want a poor paint job to be "their" problem.

Clear over Cured Base Coats: In reality, I've gone several weeks between painting a Tecumseh engine with black spray paint from ACE, blew off the dust with my air chuck, and squirted urethane clear over it with no problems.

If it makes you feel better, you can certainly scuff it up and blow it off, and tack rag it. However if you used some fancy rattle can (or even automotive base) with pearl or flakes, the sand paper will knock off the dyed bits off the pearl/flake leaving it it's original white plastic color. Might be micron-sized, but it will show up in the work after the clear is shot. Solid colors like white, or black, no problem. But instead of scuffing it an clearing it, scuff it and shoot another coat of the base coat, then clear it within 30 minutes.

5. Thanks FOMOGO thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    The OP never answered my question if the tank is metal or plastic. Very good advice from above ^^^, however, only if the tank is METAL. If it is a PLASTIC tank all bets are off as paint will peel off of a plastic tank as the gas fumes will eventually permeate through the plastic unless you coat the inside with a product like Caswells.
    Michael
    Last edited by creia; 01-11-2017 at 10:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    The tank I need to paint is plastic and a very ugly grey.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bed9fc View Post
    Well that changes everything. So my 1000 word essay was a waste. LOL! Yes, as Michael says you should coat the inside with Caswell's, or at least that is what I have heard. Conversely, you could do your primer with a catalyzed version out of a spray gun.

There was a guy on here a couple of years ago, a plastics expert or in that field. He spoke about using an open flame on plastic tanks prior to painting. I think Markus has done that too. I don't know squat about this, so I'm out. :) @markus

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bed9fc View Post
    Gee, that sure would have been nice to know!! I strongly suspected it was and that is exactly WHY I asked. A lot of wasted time and effort by our knowledgable and caring members with their replies trying to help. Personally, I am done with this guy as he STILL has not even had the courtesy to thank anyone for their replies...
    Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    First off, I am not sure where the hostility came from. Thanks everyone for the input. I have often had questions about urethane coatings on plastic as well as metal and more importantly the prep work required to get not a good finish, but great finish. The responses listed by all are greatly appreciated and look forward to suggestions in the future.

I am greatly intrigued by the idea that I don’t need to mix up a two part clear coat and spray via the HPLV and use an easier method to apply a sturdy coating.

Brian

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    When I painted my rupp engine I used summit single stage white which is impervious to gas (urethane) My tank was plastic and I first used a adhesion promotor and epoxy primer, came out great but now after 9 months I see a bubble in the paint at least a inch around. I need to order more dragon blood or make a metal tank.
    Ole

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Personally, I learned my lesson with a plastic tank. I'd avoid it if I could. If it's white, some folks have suggested Beauty Shop hydrogen peroxide--google it within the forum and I think several tips will pop up. I haven't tried Caswells or Red Coat on a plastic tank, stands to reason it'll work if it adheres to the plastic.

An aside, I also learned another lesson with epoxies (i.e., JB Weld) and <<steel fuel tanks>>--the gas ate the epoxy--and I hadn't learned about silver soldering, yet.
    Wilderness~Copperhead~Trail Bike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast