Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

SprayMax Urethane ClearCoat

Hello All,
    I am in the process of restoring a 69 and 70 Rupp Roadster. I am fortunate that the 70 roadster I bought from a Shiner and the chrome is awesome as well as the paint. The 69 I purchased with the incorrect engine, but still had the lights and switches, score. I have found a replacement engine and added an alternator and all is well. Problem is the engine is the incorrect color as well as the gas tank. I am not too worried about the engine tins, but will use a high temp engine paint for that purpose. I am worried about the gas tank. I want to use the same engine paint for the tank, but gas just isn't nice to most paints unless its urethane based. My question is this: Can I use the same engine paint on the tank and use a two part urethane clearcoat for gas resistance? I spoke with R&E Paint Supply and they swear by this product for clearcoating without a sprayer and say that many of their customers use this product specifically for gas tanks on their motorcycle. Note this is a two part urethane clear coat in an aerosol can!!!!!!

************************************************** *****************************************
    SprayMax 3680061 Urethane Clear coat Spray

SprayMax 3680061, 2K Urethane Clear Coat, Aerosol

************************************************** ******************************************

If anyone has used this product, let me know your results. If I hear nothing in the next week or so, I will purchase and let the group know the results.

Sincerely,

Brian

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I used standard spray paint on my 1970 rupp Roadster tank and engine then oversprayed it with Eastwood's 2k clearcoat. It looked flawless, but I did notice that in places like the fill neck on the tank, the paint was starting to bubble after just a few weeks. It was fine for drips and drops, but I wouldn't use it anywhere that the gas or gas vapors would be exposed to it for long periods of time.
    Last edited by capguncowboy; 01-10-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    I'm not afraid of death. I'm afraid of dying. I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my father did -- not like his screaming passengers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I use it all the time, great stuff. I use it on everything from frames to engine tins and gas tanks. It does hold up very well to gas and oil, i have never had a problem. Only compliant is it is a little pricey. Make sure you do wear a respirator when spraying it due to the catalyst .

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    suggest using Rustoleum engine enamel ...home depot..if you can find color you want..is oil and gas resistant and up to 500 not that that matters in that application..used that some sucess..easy touch up if needed
    Last edited by Raskin; 01-10-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bed9fc View Post
    Hello All,
    I am in the process of restoring a 69 and 70 Rupp Roadster. I am fortunate that the 70 roadster I bought from a Shiner and the chrome is awesome as well as the paint. The 69 I purchased with the incorrect engine, but still had the lights and switches, score. I have found a replacement engine and added an alternator and all is well. Problem is the engine is the incorrect color as well as the gas tank. I am not too worried about the engine tins, but will use a high temp engine paint for that purpose. I am worried about the gas tank. I want to use the same engine paint for the tank, but gas just isn't nice to most paints unless its urethane based. My question is this: Can I use the same engine paint on the tank and use a two part urethane clearcoat for gas resistance? I spoke with R&E Paint Supply and they swear by this product for clearcoating without a sprayer and say that many of their customers use this product specifically for gas tanks on their motorcycle. Note this is a two part urethane clear coat in an aerosol can!!!!!!

************************************************** *****************************************

SprayMax 3680061, 2K Urethane Clear Coat, Aerosol

************************************************** ******************************************

If anyone has used this product, let me know your results. If I hear nothing in the next week or so, I will purchase and let the group know the results.

Sincerely,

Brian
    Is the fuel tank metal or plastic?
    Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    :thumbs: 17.00 is a good price, i think i paid 25.00-ish
    I have used it on an old Allis Chalmers tractor gas tank about a week or less? after repainting it. Right over the paint with no sanding etc. Probably would've looked better if I sanded first then applied the clear but I was only going for gas resistance and it does work great. Over-filled that tank more times than I can count.
    Wear a correct respirator, dust masks are just for looks...
    Last edited by mini one; 01-10-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I use Eastwood 2K on all my engine restorations/builds. I clear the tins and tanks with it. Once cured, it is quite hard and does nicely with gas/other solvents. Just lightly scuff the base paint to give the urethane something to bite into. I use regular spray paints on blocks if I paint them.
    Wilderness~Copperhead~Trail Bike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bed9fc View Post
    Hello All,
    I am in the process of restoring a 69 and 70 Rupp Roadster....

Sincerely,

Brian
    The cutaway view of the two-part spray can is pretty amazing.
    http://www.facebook.com/NorthwestTrackShots

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I've never used the aerosol type, so I cant comment on the quality, but several here have said good things about the Eastwood. I do not recommend scuffing base coat prior to urethane spraying because any scratching will show, and any additives to the paint, such as pearl will reflect. You should never need to scuff for urethane. I am sorry to differ on opinion here, again, I only intend to assist, not bandy about my years of painting experience.

Instead, apply the urethane over the base coat as soon as the base coat solvent flashes. Even if it's slightly tacky, the urethane will cover with no problems, and this is the recommended method of application by Eastwood and other jobbers. You want the urethane to be applied over the base coat while it is still drying, usually within 24 hours. With a gun, I apply the clear as soon as I have the base coat cleaned out of the gun- about 25 minutes between base and clear.

ONLY if you are clear coating old, or damaged paint should roughing and feathering be done, but even then, the old paint should be removed anyway and the entire paint job started over.

With your engine and tank being the same color, you will be happier if you cover the engine tins at least in the urethane. The difference in the gloss between top coated and not top coated will be extremely noticeable.

Sorry for the novel here. One last consideration on gas tanks. You will be taping the tank off somewhere at the cap threads, lower. When you go for the application of clear, tape the cap above the line you taped for the base, so the clear overlaps it. This will prevent fuel from wicking into the base, creeping down the neck and causing bubbles in the paint.

Best of luck, and please post up the results. HD.

10. Thanks mini one, Chain Linkin, Dr. Shop Teacher, FOMOGO thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Havasu Dave is correct! Again, dammit!
    Clear coat works much better when applied over a freshly flashed base coat! this allows the clear to bond with the base and come together in a blissful union! If the base coat was applied correctly and has no blemishes, the clear will enhance the color without the need to sand it first. The integrity of the clear will be a ton better as there is no chance of anything left over from the sanding and subsequent cleaning of the base coat...and it is easier for us lazy guys to get a professional job done! Put away your sandpaper and spray away!

12. Thanks FOMOGO thanked for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast