Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Survival bike engine choice.

What would be the best engine choice for a survival mini bike? Reliability is the most important, followed by quietness, then performance. I have done a little research on quality engines and the new Briggs and Strattons are decent quality, and made in USA or Japan for the Vanguard series I believe. I wish Subaru was still making Robin engines, but they are discontinued now. Honda is always a solid option, but man are they expensive for what you get. My dad always said Kohlers were good engines and I believe the Command Pro series is made in USA.

How important is having a cast iron cylinder sleeve? Does it help quiet it down, or just better longevity? I for sure want electric start and it needs to be at least 8 hp, and I'll probably run a 40 series torque converter. Of course I have considered Predators and other clone engines like the Duromax, but I am willing to pay more for more reliability and refinement (noise and vibration). I've even price compared a quality engine to a 13hp Predator with a 3hp Predator geared down ultra low as a emergency backup engine.

A few engines I'm considering:

16.5 Gross Torque Briggs & Stratton 21T207-0120F1 Engine | Horizontal Shaft Engines | Gas & Diesel Engines | Engines | www.surpluscenter.com

14 HP Kohler Engine w/Electric Start | Horizontal Shaft Engines | Gas & Diesel Engines | Engines | www.surpluscenter.com

8.5 HP 270cc GX270 Honda GX270UT2QAE2 Engine w/Electric Start | Honda | Brands | www.surpluscenter.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    A cast iron cylinder sleeve is critical for long engine life, there's no way around that. I think it's very important. Aluminum cylinders (those just bored out of the block) are quite softer. Aluminum bores have good longevity but you really have to keep on top of your oil changes as the common knowledge dictates.
    Iron cylinder bores have nothing to do with how quiet the engine runs.

I'm not certain on your choices, but for a SHTF/survival scoot, you'd want recoil start as a backup to electric starting. Some engines are electric start only, as you go up in size especially.

Subaru/Robin engines might be nice, but they rape and pillage you on parts pricing. Avoid them says I.

For reliability and refinement, Honda wins that contest hands down.

Otherwise, for the end-of-the-world scenario an 8 HP Predator (per your requirement) and plenty of spare parts should be fine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Just a thought, but is there a horizontal shaft Briggs that shares a bunch of parts with the very common vertical shaft mower engines? If so, you could scavenge a nice pile of parts now, for near nothing, and have a better chance of finding what you need post SHTF.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Briggs 2hp with a vaccujet carb. Bulletproof engines