Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Sprocket change and source for Coleman CT200U

I am thinking about gearing down my new bike to make it better for off-road use on somewhat rough trails.

I have always sort of hated centrifugal clutches, and with this bike, by the time it fully engages, the bike is going too fast to navigate winding or bumpy trails. So the clutch is operating in slip mode most of the time.

I'm thinking a 60 tooth rear might be just about right, but might also fool around with a 72.

The other option is to change the jackshaft input sprocket to a larger one, like from the stock 20 to a 25 or so. I wonder if this might be cheaper and easier, and save me having to change the chain. There is limited clearance to the clutch cover, though.

What are your experiences gearing down these bikes?

Will a rear sprocket change interfere with the chain guard?

And where is a good source for sprockets? I would need the correct specific bolt circle size.

Thanks for your help.

David

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Have you looked at a torque converter, aka TAV? More low end power and smoother operation.
    Made a world of difference on mine.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    If you are patient, OMBWAREHOUSE will have a sprocket adapter for you real soon! We will have a selection of 40, 54, and 60 tooth sprockets available

4. Thanks FOMOGO thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CarPlayLB View Post
    If you are patient, OMBWAREHOUSE will have a sprocket adapter for you real soon! We will have a selection of 40, 54, and 60 tooth sprockets available
    Does OMB carry a 9 tooth to replace the 10 tooth on his jackshaft? This is what I would be looking for if I was interested in the gearing change he has in mind. If the 9 tooth isn't enough then add a 60 tooth. This same gearing would also work with a TAV.

Not sure if the 60 tooth would fit under the chain guard or not. 72 no way.

For the stock Coleman the 40 tooth would be nice for people who want more top speed. The 54 is a nice replacement of the stock 50 tooth. And from what others have said and experienced every Coleman with a TAV could use the 60 tooth.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Azusa will custom make a rear sprocket to your specs (hub bore/bolt pattern/tooth count/chain size). Because chains have an even number of links, an odd number tooth count sprocket will provide more even wear to the sprocket and the chain, increasing service life; this is fairly common knowledge in the motorcycle world. A larger rear sprocket probably would require raising the chain guard in order to retain it, but that should be simple; a couple pieces of flat bar should do the job; a much larger sprocket probably would require trimming the rear of the guard.

Custom Aluminum Sprockets & Blanks

Excellent Chain And Sprocket Information - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Why having odd teeth in your sprockets could save you money
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

7. Thanks FOMOGO thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SAS289 View Post
    Does OMB carry a 9 tooth to replace the 10 tooth on his jackshaft? This is what I would be looking for if I was interested in the gearing change he has in mind. If the 9 tooth isn't enough then add a 60 tooth. This same gearing would also work with a TAV.

Not sure if the 60 tooth would fit under the chain guard or not. 72 no way.

For the stock Coleman the 40 tooth would be nice for people who want more top speed. The 54 is a nice replacement of the stock 50 tooth. And from what others have said and experienced every Coleman with a TAV could use the 60 tooth.
    The Coleman jackshaft is 15mm and we don't have any sprockets that size

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I would love to buy from OMB Warehouse, but I am looking for something right away to try out. Any place that might have these in stock?

What size chain are these bikes, anyway? 40, 41, 42?

David

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    I would love to buy from OMB Warehouse, but I am looking for something right away to try out. Any place that might have these in stock?

What size chain are these bikes, anyway? 40, 41, 42?

David
    4 Hole Mini Bike Sprocket - GoPowerSports.com

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOL Tweety Bird View Post
    Have you looked at a torque converter, aka TAV? More low end power and smoother operation.
    Made a world of difference on mine.
    By his description, this is what he needs. Far better that straight chain for rougher terrain. Especially since he hates centrifugal clutches. (We all do really, but we're too lazy to invent a three speed mini bike transmission.) :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    I knew you guys were going to push for the torque converter.

When I was a kid, my friend had a Rupp Roadster with a TC and I thought it was the greatest thing, compared to my Lil' Indian 2hp. It was a real hot rod. I have since considered the TC a brilliant solution, and always wanted one.

But here's the problem. We got the big 6.5 hp engine for low-end power, which it has. A TC would get it into the RPM range faster, but then would also increase the top speed as well, which I know is almost everyone's goal here. To the contrary, though, I really don't want my kid going much faster than 15mph or so, for now. The bike will be used on hilly, bumpy, winding trails, and we are satisfied to putter along.

Not to mention, the TC is a bit of a chunk of change, and I'd still need to gear the bike down. And maybe modify it a bit to make the TC fit?

I'd love a real disk clutch and even a 2 speed transmission. With everything so cheap from China these days, why isn't there such thing as one for $49?

So I might try fooling around with sprocket ratios in the meantime.

David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast