Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Coleman ct200u chain tension and chain size.

I am pretty new to working with mini bikes,and I am having issues with my chain.It was a little to loose and it jumped off while I was riding some rough terrain and got jammed between the chain guard and sprocket bolts.The chain was toast,all twisted and bent.So I replaced the chain with a #40 chain because that is all I could get locally.It seems to fit fine but obviously a little bigger.I am curious if anybody else uses a 40 with the 420 sprockets.Does it matter much?And as for the tension,I get it set so I have the recommended 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch slack in the chain, but if I spin the wheel forward a little it gets tighter.Then I spin a little more and it gets more loose.If I roll the bike backwards i here a kind of snapping noise occasionally like it is catching on something but I donít see anything obvious.any suggestions would be great thanks.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Prop the rear wheel up off the ground; rotate the wheel by hand until the chain becomes tight; mark the sprocket with paint, tape, anything; rotate the wheel by hand and see if the sprocket is in the same position when the chain becomes tight again; repeat several times to be certain. If the sprocket is in the same position every time the chain becomes tight, the sprocket is out-of-round or is not centered properly on the hub. If the rear sprocket seems to be good, check the front one in the same manner. The snapping noise is probably the chain rollers popping out of the sprocket teeth when the chain is tight and/or the sprocket may be worn; if the teeth appear hooked, similar to saw blade teeth, the sprocket is shot; the hooked teeth would tend to capture the rollers and not release them easily. A sprocket tooth should appear symmetrical, with the trailing edge a mirror image of the leading edge. Even with sprockets that check out fine, roller chains tend to have a tight spot, but not as drastic as with an out-of-round sprocket, which is why the chain should be adjusted with it at it's tight spot too avoid excessive stretching. If your sprockets check out okay, I would suggest a spring-loaded tensioner; it should tension the lower run of the chain; a swinging arm type is common and should be a trailing arm (not leading arm) in relationship to chain travel, so the roller or sprocket should be to the rear of the pivot. For a roller, I would prefer a flanged roller as a bit of insurance to keep the chain on it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Looks like the only difference between 40 and 420 chain is that the 40 has 1/16" wider rollers, so you may have a bit of lateral slop but I doubt it would hurt anything. On a higher power/speed application I might be concerned about the sprockets not supporting the full width of the rollers, but on a typical minibike I think you'll be okay. Perhaps someone who has done this will chime in, eventually.

See chain specs: https://www.gokartsupply.com/chain.htm
    Last edited by Charles S; 07-14-2018 at 04:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Charles S

Thanks I will try that tonight.I don’t think the sprockets would be worn yet because it is brand new.I have only used it 5 hrs in total.I was just being stupid driving it knowing the tension was a little loose.I think the rear sprocket is centred properly but I am worried I may have damaged the front.As for the #40 chain,I actually ordered a 420 chain and it came in super fast so I’ll probably put it on and save the 40 for a spare.But it does seem to work fine.Thanks again.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Just be sure your new chain stays in adjustment after the ride. I think I adjusted mine 4 times or so from new until it was completely stretched.

For the Coleman there are a few things that should be looked over after every ride in my opinion. The chain being one of them. Especially the chain that came with the bike.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Ditto everything Charles and SAS said, also a quick check on your rear sprocket to front one, get a piece of straight metal Long enough to span between the sprockets) and lay it flat against the rear sprocket. Slide it forward to go across the front sprocket also. If you see any daylight between the bar and sprockets you have a misalignment problem.

One other thing, I know on mine it had very low hours on it and the jack shaft bearings were shot. I installed a torque convertor and eliminated the jack shaft.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    SAS289 I have noticed,after every ride the chain gets very slack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOL Tweety Bird View Post
    Ditto everything Charles and SAS said, also a quick check on your rear sprocket to front one, get a piece of straight metal Long enough to span between the sprockets) and lay it flat against the rear sprocket. Slide it forward to go across the front sprocket also. If you see any daylight between the bar and sprockets you have a misalignment problem.

One other thing, I know on mine it had very low hours on it and the jack shaft bearings were shot. I installed a torque convertor and eliminated the jack shaft.

I think that maybe the issue I am having with mine.there seems to be a bit of a wobble there at the jack shaft sprocket.