Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides

some general maintenance question

Hey all. I have let my 9 year old ride around on the minibike I "restored" recently, and I've rode it some too. Its probably got a total of a few hours on it, not much at all really. I noticed the chain has seemingly stretched, or the motor has scooted back some, but I suspect the chain, and now the chain sags and has left a nice rub mark on the edge of the motor mount plate. How do you all deal with the chain tension? Its the original chain as far as I know, I've not replaced it for a new one.

The other thing I've noticed is the clutch seems to make an intermitant rattle when at idle speed, it comes and goes, but only at idle, once engaged, its good....its an old clutch, and the "drum" maybe slightly out of round, at least it appears to look out of round when I spin the wheel. Its the original clutch as far as I know, I've not replaced it.

I feel like the front forks shake a lot when riding across grass, not so much at all on pavement. I looked and there is a gap of maybe a max 2-3mm between the neck bushing, and the fork mounting plates. Should I get new neck bushings to tighten that gap up? Or could I just add some shim stock, or maybe a thin washer?

Lastly, I'm running a scrub brake on this bike, would adding a clutch brake as a second brake hurt at all? I'd leave the scrub brake as is...would the clutch brake cause any extra stress on the drive chain?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by loworange88; 09-16-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Not an answer to all of your questions but, I just ordered an Idler Sprocket for my Chain. Spring loaded, ya know?

3. Thanks loworange88 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Chains do stretch, so yes you need to take up the slack, either by moving the engine forward and/or sliding the back wheel rearward. Or as Badrooster stated, add a chain tensioner.

I would think that play in the tube to fork is not a good thing, simple enough to sneak in a washer to see if it makes an improvement.

I have a Max Torque clutch on Tweety Bird, and it rattled too. Too much play between the bell or drum and the gear tube. I used a soda can to make a thin washer to take up the slack and it's nice and quiet now, going on two years. Of course if your bell/drum is bent it might be time for a new one.

As for a clutch brake, well the chain will be the one stopping the rear wheel, so yeah it does put additional strain on the chain. But it does seem to stop better then the scrub brake on mine. To me the scrub brake is the back up if the chain breaks.
    Last edited by EVOL Tweety Bird; 09-17-2018 at 07:09 AM.

5. Thanks loworange88 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rides
    Thanks for the responses guys. These are likely things Inwill tackle over the winter.